THIRTY SIX

Emma

Ethan’s Range Rover

    “Ethan, nothing’s gonna happen. It'll be fine.” I dragged out, tossing my head back against the dark leather headrest that belonged to the passenger seat.

    “How do you know that? He’s unpredictable, Emma.” Ethan argued, his jaw clenching & unclenching as he looked both ways down the street before turning left.

    “Okay, well, unless you have around ten outfits that fit me and a girl’s bathing suit...it’s gonna happen. Who knows? Maybe my dad changed his attitude? Sobered up?” I asked, mostly to myself. Ethan bounced his knee up & down next to me, his knuckles turning paler against the dark material of the steering wheel they were gripping.

    “The last time you probably thought he ‘sobered up’ was right before I found you running down the sidewalk all sick and cold like a lost puppy.” He stated & I sighed at the memory, remembering the way his vehicle pulled up next to me at a convenient time & the look of confusion on his face.

    “But that was last time, this time could be different.” I whispered & Ethan groaned from beside me, shaking his head.

    “He hit you, Emma. I’m not letting that happen again.” He growled, his jaw jutting forwards slightly in agitation. I licked the inside of my cheek, thinking.

    “Well it’s my only option and it’ll take like two seconds to just go in, grab my stuff, and leave.” I explained & Ethan rolled his dark eyes as we came to a stoplight.

    “No.” He stated simply as if it was his decision. I get that he was trying to protect me & that warmed my heart, but this, going to my dad’s house to collect everything I need for our upcoming school trip, was my decision & it was necessary.

    “Just drive me there, Ethan.” I said, a hint of annoyance in my tone. I just wanted to get this over with, grabbing my clothes...& seeing how my dad is doing.

    “No, Emma. I don’t want you to get hurt. That’s final.” He said sternly, continuing to drive in the direction of his own house instead of mine.

    “Ethan.” I groaned, throwing my hands up in aggression. My gaze moved angrily to the car door & I hastily pushed the small button up, unlocking the door. I wrapped my hand around the door handle & pulled it forward, making it click as the door was able to open now if I pushed it.

    “The fuck are you doing?!” Ethan accused, glancing between me & the road in front of him with his eyebrows narrowed in anger & confusion.

    “I will jump out and walk to his house myself if you won’t drive me.” I stated & he scoffed.

    “Emma, stop. I’m serious. We can go buy you clothes and a bathing suit or two, you don’t need to put yourself in danger by going back to your house.” He explained, releasing a little pressure from the gas pedal & causing the vehicle to slow down slightly as he glanced at me again.

    “I’m serious too Ethan. Nothing’s gonna happen. Drive me back to my house to get my clothes...or jumping out of the car and walking there myself.” I deadpanned & the vehicle swerved a little as he looked at me angrily.

    “You won’t. Just shut the door.” He decided & I cocked an eyebrow challengingly at him.

    “Yes, I will.” I argued, pushing the car door open a large amount & unbuckling my seatbelt. Just as I was about to jump out, a large hand gripped my arm, stopping me from moving.