3 | Office Lounge

The assistant walked fast. And when you say fast, you mean pretty much-running speed fast. You tried to keep the same pace behind her, as everyone paused what they were doing and watched nosily as you changed departments.

She walked you into the large hallway, which had many different offices connected to it. It was like a never-ending tunnel. The offices all were painted in different colors, hence the names being red, blue, etc. They were in charge of different aspects of the company. Blue is in charge of communication, red in charge of deadlines, etc. 

But gold was a mystery. No one really knew what you were supposed to do in the golden department, only that it was of extreme importance.

Finally, after what seemed like years of walking, she headed into the connected office at the end of the hallway. As expected, the walls were painted with a light but comfortable gold and the room was 2x bigger than the one you were working in before.

You didn't see any desks or chairs, though, which surprised you. Usually, an office was filled with many desks and chairs, but this room seemed to be designed for comfort. There were couches scattered in places, all of which you deemed to be expensive. Some plants and decor were put in different spots, and there were many bookshelves.

You gulp. Just one piece of the decor could be possibly worth more than your whole apartment. You'd definitely have to control your clumsy ass to be careful here.

But it still didn't make sense. What was this room supposed to be?

As if she could sense your confusion, the assistant stopped suddenly, causing you to almost bump into her abnormally tall figure.

"This is the office lounge, and where you can chat or communicate with any of the important customers. Be sure not to come here any time, though, or you might bump into some important people. The important people must not see you, as you are new and it could ruin the business. Only come here when you are called" She blurted out all at once, sounding bored as though she had rehearsed this speech many times.

Then, she took off, sashaying on. Leaving you trailing behind her. Again.

After pretty much running behind the assistant lady for 2 minutes, you passed by many connecting rooms. You had no idea how she knew these paths so well, as you were sure you were going to get lost, even after weeks of working here.

She led you into a room that you supposed was Jimin's. It was big, yet simple and comfortable. Hopefully, yours could be half as good as this room was.

Suddenly, scaring you again, she spun 180 degrees to face you

"This room is going to be yours from this day onwards. If you have any problems or requests, please contact Mr. Park. If you need any help, you can feel free to find me. I will be in the room across from the staff lounge." She said quickly, then marched out of the room that was now... apparently yours. 

Your old office department looked like a joke compared to this. Desks were scattered everywhere, with bright chatter always filling the room. It was hard to focus, but it was comfortable. At least you had Minhee with you back then. You felt lonely just thinking about working alone in this big space.

And speaking of work, you still had absolutely no idea what you were supposed to work on, and Jimin had given you no indication of your job in this department. And seeing as how he had reacted to you earlier on, you didn't want to approach him, especially to ask a dumb question like: "Hey, what the hell am I supposed to do?!"

Chuckling at your dumbness, you unpack slowly, realizing that all of your belongings from your desk before wouldn't be enough to fill a quarter of this room. Whatever. You weren't one to care about decor, even though the vase in the corner did look extremely good, reminding you again that it was probably worth more than your apartment.

You sat down for a bit after unpacking and checked your watch. It was only 10:05 am, exactly an hour since you learned that you would be working in the one and only gold department.

Chewing lightly on your lips, you began to stare at the walls. What on earth were you supposed to do now?

Getting an idea, you stood up and slowly you walk towards the door. Maybe, you could go outside and find someone who could help you out. Surely Jimin and that scary assistant weren't the only ones working in this department, right?

Then again, no one knew what went on in the gold department, so you couldn't be even sure of that.

Quietly, you slipped outside of your new office and started to slowly explore your surroundings. There were many small offices like yours, which all had separate names on their doors. Surprisingly, on your door, it already had 'Seon Y/N' on it.

You were relieved that they used your made up Korean name instead of your real one. That would be very embarrassing. Even after living in Korea for so many years, many people still treated you like a foreigner. 

You hated it, but there wasn't much you could do. It was either Seoul or your hometown, and you didn't want to move back there, with your pitying parents.

Sighing, you continued down the hall. You tried your best not to take too many turns, just in case you would get lost. It felt to you like you'd changed jobs completely, not a new department.

Eventually, you wandered back to the lounge. This was probably your favorite part of the department. There was a small kitchen room in the corner. Smelling the strong scent of coffee, you wander into the room. There were 10 coffee machines, all lined up in order.

You were impressed. In your old department, you had one coffee machine that was barely working. You had to share it and line up early in order to get the best cup, but here, there was practically no one. It was nice, yet lonely.

Pushing some random buttons on the shiny metal machine, you grab a cup and wait for your coffee, when you hear some faint voices in the distance.

"Yes, this is our new proposal. We would like to introduce you to it, would you mind taking a seat?"

The voices seemed to be coming closer, and that's when you realize they were in the lounge. For a brief second, you furrowed your brows and wondered what someone could be doing in the lounge at this time. Then, it hit you like a train.

An important customer was in the lounge.

That's when you remember what the assistant had said: "Be sure not to come here any time, though, or you might bump into some important people. The important people must not see you, as you are new and it could ruin the business."

Crap.