16 | Black Society

NOTE: The title of this chapter, along with the 'Black society' mentioned DOES NOT have anything to do with race! It is simply a term referring to gangsters and the sort in my country. I do not intend to offend anyone!

-

*flashback to Jimin's childhood*

| 3RD PERSON P.O.V. |

"It's too much of a risk!" Jimin's mom was yelling at his dad, again. It seemed all Jimin's parents did these days were fight, fight and fight.

And it never ended well for young Jimin. With tears in his eyes from fright, he would quietly climb into his closet again, hiding from his parents, wiping off his tears with his shirts.

His parents would sometimes beat him if they were in bad moods.

Though he was but a child, Jimin knew better than to intrude on his parent's conversations. Especially when they were angry like they were today.

So badly, Jimin tried to cover his innocent ears from his parent's fights, but they were so loud; the screaming, yelling and glass shattering never seemed to end. Nor did the pain in Jimin's heart.

"THE DEAL ISN'T COMING THROUGH, HOW ELSE DO YOU EXPECT ME TO KEEP A ROOF ON OUR HEADS?!" Glass was shattered again as Jimin's father's voice boomed through the house, so loud it seemed to make the house shake in fear.

Whimpering, tears continued to fall in a steady stream down Jimin's eyes as he slumped down, curling into a ball and rocking himself back and forth in an attempt to calm himself down.

"IT'S STILL A BAD IDEA!" His mother's voice was heard. "This society isn't good. If we get caught in this, we'll end up rotting in prison, or worse, dead!"

The loud bang of a fist being slammed down scared Jimin. "I don't care," his dad's voice was slightly muffled, but Jimin could still hear clearly. "If I don't do this, we'll end up dead from starvation. Do you know how hard it is to find a proper job these days? With a child to feed?"

His voice was no longer loud, but the sharp tone and desperation in his voice was scarier than the loud and booming one. Jimin knew it wasn't just a petty fight when his father was like this.

"If we do this," intake of breath was heard from his mother. "We could lose everything." Jimin had to strain his ears to hear the soft whimper from his mom.

Tears dried, Jimin couldn't take it anymore. He slipped out of the closet and room to take a better look at what was going on.

Outside the room, there was another glass plate shattered, but his mom was in his father's embrace, her hands on her face, his fathers arms around his mom. He kissed the top of her head, and Jimin could see the deep sorrow and anger in his eyes.

"But if it goes right," he whispered, trying to convince himself as much as his wife. "We could be one of the richest families in Busan."

Thinking things couldn't get worse, little did Jimin know his parents had just signed a horrible contract; one of the worst things they'd ever done in their lives.

Because they had chosen to join the darkest part of their small society in Busan. The Black Society.

[EDIT: hey everyone, future Yasmin reflecting here: I am very sorry if I offended anyone with the term "Black Society". From where I come from, we refer to the area with gangs and more... illegal activities the "黑社會" , which when translated to English means "Black Society". I was not referring to an ethnicity, but merely the term I was used to growing up. Very sorry for any misunderstandings.]

*flashback is over*

| YOUR P.O.V. |

Jimin and you had talked the most you ever had in your life that night. Even when your throats were parched and voice grew thick and heavy with the need to sleep, you still didn't stop asking and trying to learn as much as you could, until his body could no longer take it anymore.

You finished your conversation about an hour ago before Jimin's eyes, which were gradually growing smaller and smaller, lids heavier and heavier, had fluttered shut and he fell into a dead slumber on his couch.

With all the information you had just learned, your body yearned for a break, but your mind wouldn't rest. It was all too much to process.

Wrapping a thin blanket you found from his room around Jimin's slender figure, your cheeks flushed when you remembered the short scene that happened before your conversation.

And now, you knew what you needed to do.

You wouldn't break the promise.

Eyes watching him tenderly, you internally pinky promised yourself one thing: Jimin, I am never falling for you, you think, thoughts loud and clear. But that doesn't mean I can't help with your problems. You can't do this alone, or it would never work.

Recalling what you had learned earlier, apparently, all of his issues came from the point of that time where his parents had signed a deal when he was merely a child.

The deal that had bound them to the depths and horrors of the Black Society.

You shuddered slightly at the mention of the name. You may be new to Seoul, but you knew the basic concepts of these types of societies, as a few of them were common in your hometown. You knew what went on there, and you always went out of your way to stay away from the horrors they held.

That was until your friend had been dragged into a big issue like this.

Because, whatever had gone wrong in that deal, had claimed his parent's lives.

And that also meant that the people who hunted Jimin's parents down would be after him next.

You couldn't have Jimin gone when you had just barely started to get to know him.

You really needed to find out how to revive the deal.

And so, you would do everything within your power to keep your friend and boss safe from all harm to the best of your work.