Chapter Five

<Hazel>
My body shuddered due to the cold breeze but also at the thought of Mr. Ace's daunting look.
"We'll discuss about this at home, now get out".
I let out a warm breath watching it slowly vaporize into the cold air. The chilly breeze brushes against my face as I lowered my chin tucking it into the cover of my jacket. The bus wait seem to be longer than usual, only a few cars still passes by. Unsurprisingly, the whole street seem to be consumed by the night, dead and silent. Taking in my surrounding, I closed my eyes, Mr. Ace's angry image was in front of me again. I should be use to his hostility after so many years, but truth is I'll never get numb by it.

"You've lost again, Mr. Welkin," the man said as he calmly flipped his cards over to reveal two beautiful pair of ace. Lighting up a cigar between his fingers, he stared intensely at the shocked man. "When will you ever learn?"
Mr. Welkin looked back at him with terror, it's the tenth time he has lost and each lost have added on top of each other, forcing him to carry heavy layers of debts. He knew there's nothing he can pay back to him, he has emptied out his entire fortune to a point where his wife have given up and left him.
"Well?", the man asked coldly with his extended open palm.
He had already sell off his property at the ninth round. He thought that if he's lucky enough to win just once, the whole table will be flipped with millions of cash in his pocket instead. Yet in reality, he have lost again, homeless and in debt, if he can't repay him then he and his daughter will both be sent to prison....him and his ..daughter...
"I..", there's no other way out, his selfishness have taken over his mind to think morally. "I've nothing left...but..please don't send me to jail. I can offer you something else".
The man cocked an eyebrow in curiosity, "and what would that be?".
Bearing his guilt, he pushes his innocent three year old daughter in front of him. "I'll let you have her".
The man seem bored and uninterested, as he leaned forward and took his cigar out of his mouth. "Why would I want your filthy daughter, Mr. Welkin?".
Mr. Welkin shuddered trying hard to not break down, his fear of getting caught by the authority have had him trembling all over. "Please, it's the only thing I have left to offer. Pleases sir, do not expose me to the cops, I do not want to spend the rest of my life in prison".
The man exhaled deeply, glaring down at Mr. Welkin for what seem like forever. He then glanced at the toddler, observing her to see if there's any benefit to gain from this deal. The little child just looked back at him with her chocolate puppy-doll eyes while giggling.
"Fine, take your leave."
Mr. Welkin's teary eyes seem to look up with relief and surprise. He did not accepted the offer because he pitied the father nor the daughter, yet it's because he have no time to waste on a broke man.
"Thank you very much sir!", exclaimed Mr. Welkin, "Thank you!"
He leaned forward, his gray eyes filled with disgust. "Don't you dare to step a foot into my casino ever again." The warning was enough for Mr. Welkin to immediately nod, complying to his every words. With that. Mr. Welkin hastily shove his empty wallet into his pocket and turned away from the pool table. The child who have been oblivious about the whole situation seem to sense something wrong. She instantly started to cry when her father hurried out the door without even giving her one last glance.
"Shut her up", the man angrily instructed as the suited workers behind him quickly tries to cover the child's mouth.

The bus honked at me distracted me out of my thoughts. I silently trudged towards it and took a seat. Just as the bus started to wheel away, I felt a small vibration in my pocket. Without a second thought, I reached my frozen fingers into my pocket and pull the device out. There were two missed messages from both Brandon and Sophie. Brandon has been a card dealer for most on table game in the casino, he was a fairly personable individual who I just meet few months ago. Sophie was a housekeeper for Royal Casino for quite a few years. Unfortunately, those were the only two employees that's willing to befriend me.
It's getting chilly out there, call me if you need a ride home -Brandon
I most certainly won't call him. I have successfully hidden the location of where I live from the workers for years. Not that I don't trust Brandon, but I can't risk to let the information spread so those employees can have another reason to tease behind my back.
How's work, Hazel? It's getting dark, just want to make sure you're home.-Sophie
The heart warming messages send a slight smile on my lips as I ran my finger through the tablet to replied to them.

I was the last passenger on the bus when it drove towards Poker street. The bus stirred and stoped itself few blocks from the neighborhood. The wealthy families declared that public bus shouldn't be driven near their property, which causes unlucky individuals like me having to walk the rest of the way.
"Thank you", I called to the driver before I once again step out into the chilly night. I tried wrapping my jacket tighter as I pick up my pace to get home.