Chapter Sixteen

I was shocked. Seeing my utterly confused look made Cassandra's smile even wider than before. I took a step back, how could I even work along with these idiots. I started toward the door, thinking it'll be better for me to hunt for the manager to clarify what she had just said. That's impossible, how could they just switch my position without my agreement? The rest of the employees laughed behind my back as I stormed out the room.

Bastard!

After searching around the whole first floor of the casino, I finally caught a glimpse of of my manager. I ran toward his direction, giving no regards to the guest who was staring at me.

"Charles!".

He abruptly stop in his track and turned around, fixing his blue eyes through my soul. I panted and bends forward trying to catch my breath as I pressed my palm against my knees.

"Why wasn't I informed that I'm switched to bar tending?".

I was hoping he would be confused and laughed that I have mistaken and was making a fool of myself. But he soon realized what I was fussing about and immediately opens his mouth to make excuses.

"Oh..about that," he straighten himself and loomed over me, "I was informed that there was empty slot in the bar that needs to be filled and I simply cannot think of anyone better than you to take the place".

I wasn't buying it.

"Why? Out of all the employees, you choose someone from maintenance to fill the role. That's just absurd!".

I didn't ask for to be in an argument the moment I came to work, but things are falling out of hand. Charles didn't flinch a bit upon my objection to his decision. He attentively continues to stared down at me with no hints of sympathy.

"This isn't fair, I wasn't informed of anything. I could walk out right now and quit!"

Upon my protest, Charles was ready to speak up more excuses to reason with me, but he was cut off by someone who's calling him on the talkie.

"Yes Boss? ...Got it, I'll be right there", he muttered twitching his ear piece as he speaks in the mini mic.

I stared at him disappointedly, his attention on my subject was slowly fading away. He glanced at me again, but this time he was annoyed and bothered with my presences. He surveyed around making sure no customer is looking in this direction before he leaned closer to me.

"I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you, pack your stuff and head to the bar as instructed", he whispered with a fierce tone.

I didn't get a chance to say something as he walked off to end the conversation.

I was lying to threaten him that I was going to quit. But, In reality, I can't. Mr. Ace controls practically everything about me. I have to work for him under his command, there's no loose space for me to wriggle out of. I bit my lip, holding back to not let my emotion get the best of me as I trudge toward the bar.

***

"Oh sweetie, I'm glad to have you here", Cassandra cried dramatically, with her outstretched arm pretending to give me a hug.

Great! Officially in her territory, perfectly vulnerable to have her throw insults and demands upon me.

"I need an uniform".

Cassandra's eyes traveled up and down, her long fingernails tapping the counter.

"Speak nicely Hazel, or else I'll make it a very long day for you".

I didn't care, she wasn't going to let me off easily anyway. Cassandra bent down from the counter to open a cabinet setting aside useless boxes of wine glass. She coughed holding her hand to cover her mouth as she slowly took out a dusty uniform.

"Oh Hazel, I'm very sorry, it seem like this is the only one left". She tried to not break into a smile as she gave me a fake sorrowful look. I knew she did it purposely, because she knew I couldn't just climb over the counter to beat her up. If only I could. The other bartenders giggled as they watch me snatch it and stormed away.

"Is she really going to wear that?", they joked, laughing among each other.

I stomped into the bathroom angrily, there's no reason for me to be treated like Cinderella. I threw the whole uniform into the sink and open the facet. It was an impulsive move, I didn't think twice about the consequences I'll get later on.  I threw in some hand soap and start soaking the whole uniform with water. I twisted the clothes to squeeze out the water, after much effort the uniform was finally not dripping anymore. I grabbed them and held it underneath the hand blower machine in the bathroom to do the trick. It took awhile, I was probably in the bathroom for half an hour, but I didn't care to have my time wasted. If I could, I would've stay hiding in here away from the bullies, but that'll be a sign of weakness. My mind told me otherwise, to defend myself against them. With that, I put on the newly dried clean uniform and walked out.