Chapter Eight

I peered out the window, patiently waiting for a car to pull up the drive way. After a while,  I finally caught a headlight heading in my direction.  It was rather dark to see, as an outline of a lean figure got out of the car and beeped his keys. I hurried to the door and unlocked it for him.

Brandon stood right outside with his simple jean and a white T-shirt.

"Here", he grumbled, tossing me a shopping bag. I peek in and saw a set of clothing with their tags still hanging tightly around it. "They're brand new," he added.

"Thank you", I beamed with relief. I was glad that he didn't take it the wrong way. He actually believe my words? Anyone else would have let it pass on thinking it's a prank or something.

He nodded and glanced around.

"Is this where you live?", he asked capturing in the marvelous designs inside the house.

"Of course not!", I lied flatly. The last thing I wanted to do would be to dramatize Brandon that in reality, I live with our boss, the one and only Mr. Ace.

"This is only my second job." I mean..at least that part is true.

I bit my lower lip as Brandon's eye traveled up the staircase. What's his name again? Oh..yes...Dylan. He better not get nosy and come down here or else ..it'll look so bad..just me and him..together in this whole house and the fact that I ask Brandon to spare me men's clothes. No explanations will ever erase this scene.

He then gently laid his eyes back on me, "You really shouldn't be working this much, go home already".

"I'm fine," I lied again, "It's only an one or two hour shift and I'll be heading home".

Brandon gave me a worried look as though my words did not persuade him at all.

"Are you sure, Hazel?"

I nodded, playing along with a defiant and enthusiastic expression.

"If you need a ride after your done..I'll be glad to pick you up". He offered.

I smiled, "Don't worry I'll manage". I thought for a moment and then added, "I'll buy you dinner one of these days".

A slight glint sparked in his eyes, "Did you just offered to go out?".

"What?...no..I mean..", I blabbered trying to sort up a reasoning. My face was flustered, gosh what was I saying?

His teasing smile lingered, examining me as I struggle to explain. He turned and was about to step out the door when he abruptly stopped and leaned in.

"I'll be more than happy to oblige the new role as your personal driver anytime". Before I could respond, he gave me one last mischievous grin and headed out.

I stood there dumbfounded, what was he trying to say? His words was still swirling around my head as I try to find the meanings behind them. Yet, I was too tired to keep figuring out about it, so I clutched the shopping bag and went upstairs.

"Here you go", I mumbled setting the bag on his bed. I better not get anymore complaints about the clothes, or else that'll pushes me even further on the verge to argue with him.

"Oh and this", I added, placing the wads of cash beside it. I could use some good cash in my own pocket, but who knows if this guy will be petty enough to ask for a receipt.

He was laying on his bed comfortably with one arm pressing up against a pillow supporting his head. His attention was glued on his phone, scrolling through his media.

"Your clothes sir", I said a bit louder this time to purposely disturb him.

He briefly gave me a glance and that was it. No thank you or anything for my hassle. I studied him, He somehow manage to be in a relax position on the bed already, so what's the whole point of him whining for a comfortable sleep wear?

"Who was that downstair?".

With no intention to answer him I started to head out. With just a few steps, I stopped suddenly and took a deep breath, he's your boss Hazel, and unfortunately for me, he'll be the same boss at home and eventually at work. There's no benefit in getting on his bad side.

"An important friend of mine", I finally answered before shutting the door.

Beloved Readers,
Finally the second male protagonist have made his appearance. What do you think? Is he too nice to be true?