Chapter Twenty Nine

I've never speak in front of an audiences before, let alone having pairs of eyes glued on my every movement. Nonetheless, I gathered my strengths, tilted up my chin to proudly declare what I have stand by.

"Mr. Dylan have been trying his best", I started and it was immediately followed by the disapproving murmurs of the crowd. Ignoring their reactions I continued, "There's a reason Mr. Ace is willing to give his position to Mr. Dylan, and if Mr. Ace have the faith to do so, we should all be supporting Mr. Dylan to the very end."

I deeply exhaled, giving the crowd a chance to consider what I'm trying to say.

"Who are you? Why should we listen to you?!" a women argued, throwing her fist up in the air.

"I'm not here to offend anyone," I announced clearly, "There is more behind it to be acknowledge for than blindfolding yourselves to believe that Mr. Dylan have not done well enough. I'm merely one of his employees just like anyone else. However, I do not object to strictly one perspective and judge him because of it. I would suggest everyone to do the same, give Mr. Dylan more time to improve".

From the corner of my eyes, I notice a few familiar employees was part of this protest as well. Of course they are. They would come forward and whine about their "mistreatments."

The crowds looked unconvinced, cursing me out under their breath. But that was only the warmup, I have more to say to make their blood boil with anger.

"I trust Mr. Dylan", I stated simply, "He has the authority and every reasons to refuse any proposition! Instead of going against him because he rejected individual ideas, we should support him, support a new entrepreneur to build his company in the matter of time". I cleared my throat, "Doubting his actions is doubting Mr. Ace's decision!".

The mobs roared against me, but I could careless if I happen to end it in a bad note.

"I stand by my every words", I declared, "I support his decision..."

A hard cold grip against my shoulder cut me off.
Dylan stared back at me, cold straight face like always. But his eyes...was that a speck of appreciation?

"That's enough", he muttered, his breath tickled against my cheek. Slowly he released the grip.
I balled my hand into a fist, enough? Surely not near enough to wipe clean their minds.

"To those who wishes to continue to protest against me", Dylan announced and gestures to the mens behind him. "May speak to my authorities".

The crowd cried behind his back, but Dylan had ignored them, walking away as his men block the angry mobs from reaching to him.

An blonde middle aged man walked forward, cleared his throat to grab the mob's attention.

"Mr. Dylan's time is very precious to be wasted. Any concerns may speak to me and my members. However, if your protest does not prove to be worth listening for, then we have every right to terminate your current career that's under our corporation".

The crowd cursed and shouted how unfair it is, but no one walked forward to actually argue. I watched as they gradually lowered their signs, probably because their arms were sore by this point. Then slowly, one by one the individual retreated from the scene, threw their signs onto the floor, stomping over them with anger.

"Let's go", Brandon whispered reaching for my hand to wrap it into his palm. I nodded slowly, and trudge inside.

***

"Hazel Welkin! Are you out of your mind?!", Sophie cried pounding on the table. "Why are you up there by yourself, defending that heartless man?!"

I bite into my subway sandwich, half listening to her lectures.

Why am I feeling bad for Dylan? Why did I not think twice before giving a damn speech in front of hundreds of people.

"And Brandon even let you speak! You could've got hurt by the crazy mobs...stampeded or run over by them".

I nodded agreeing with her what she's saying but not actually registering her words.

"Sophie, I'm fine", I reassured, "plus I told you Dylan saved me remember? He wasn't a heartless man, he wasn't like his father".

Sophie didn't seem to buy it so I decided to change the subject.

"How's Jasper by the way?" I asked, knowing that the mention of her boyfriend will definitely get her off the topic.

Sophie blushed, "Uh, he's just the usual".

"Haven't seen him around", I stately flatly and bite into my sandwich.

"He's kinda busy with his job I suppose", she mumbled.

It wasn't until Brandon popped up at our lunch table did she recall the previous topic. Brandon just casually pulled up a seat and ruffled his hair.

"Why didn't you stop Hazel from such repulsive and reckless behavior?" Sophie demanded looking at Brandon.

Brandon cocked his eyebrows confused with Sophie's outburst. Then he quickly covered it up with a smile, "I'm just supporting her".
Without Sophie noticing, he gave me a quick wink.