Chapter Eighteen

I was huddling in the corner hugging my knees close to my chest. Yes, I admit it, I wasn't as strong as I seem to be. I just couldn't stop the hot moisture forming from the edge of my eyes.

Why does everyone have to make things difficult for me? Why do I deserve any of these? I was glad that I was in a position where I could hide my face from everyone else. It isn't fair! When my father neglected me, I toughen myself up to keep walking forward. When Mr. Ace treat me like a slave, I stayed strong and continued to  comply whatever order he have given me. When Cassandra taunted me, I talked back repulsively. When Charles reject to hear me out, I told myself to calm down and get through the day. But..how much longer do I have to stay strong? To fight against everyone with only my mere self.

By now, tears were already streaming down my cheeks uncontrollably. I hated having to cry, but it seem as through every injustices were pouring out at this moment. What have I done to have them attacking me like a target?

What should I do now? A sudden thud had grabbed my attention. Looking next to me, my phone have fell on to the floor thanks to my new position. Maybe..I should tell Brandon about what happened...

Gathering up my courage I dialed his number. My heart was pounding wildly that it rings in my ear.

"Was-sup?"

What should I say? How should I announce to Brandon about everything? Oh Hazel you're a mess.

My mouth felt dry, and for a awhile it was just silent.

"What's the matter Hazel?", Brandon asked suddenly picking up the hint that something's going on.

"I...Can you come to work?"

I voice was cracked as I barely made the words out.

There was loud shuffling on the other end of the phone. He's probably getting ready to leave.

"Alright, Don't worry Hazel, I'll be right there!"

I held the phone tightly against my ear, "Thank you", which come off as a bare whisper.

***

I was so overcome with sadness that I didn't notice foot steps approaching the hallway. I have to get up and wipe away the tears. I can't let them see me like this. I can't let them have something else to laugh at! But my legs felt weak, too weak to get ahold of myself. This is it. The sound of the footsteps were approaching closer as I continue to remain motionless on the floor. I was ready to hear someone pointing out and expose me crying in the middle of the hallway. However that didn't happen. The foot step stopped in front of me, and it was silent except for my sniffles.

"Hazel.."

I looked up, Sophie was standing in front me with the most concerning look. She immediately drop her cleaning bucket and bend down to hug me. Simple gesture, but it was the best comfort.

"Hazel", she whispered softly, "what happen?".

I shook my head, "It's nothing".

Of course she wouldn't believe that, my voice cracked and my eyes were probably red, all which were not convincing.

"Tell me," She said softly, stroking my back.

I manage to give her a smile, hoping she wouldn't persist to ask me any further. How could I tell her? Where do I even start?

"Come on Hazel, tell me what happened", she asked again. My throat was as dry as a desert, how should I begin?

I end up telling her everything, I wasn't strong enough to continue keeping it to myself. Sophie got angrier as she continues to hear me out.

"Bloody Hell!", she cried, once I finished my series of irresistible bullying.

"Let's go talk to the manager", she suggested.
I quickly hold her arm back preventing her from storming out to find troubles.

"No," I said, "We can't. Those managers won't take us seriously".

As much as Sophie hate to admit it, it was the truth. She hesitated and sat with me in silence.

After a awhile, we came up with nothing. But I was grateful to have her beside me after going through everything. I smiled to myself, it's okay, there's always Sophie and Brandon who supports me. With the bits of courage I retained, I finally decided to stand up. It's okay Hazel, doesn't matter what they think, there's no reason to shed tear for those individual who take pleasure in your suffering. Toughen up Hazel! I straighten myself, look back at Sophie with an friendly smile.

"Let's go find the manager", Sophie suddenly said.

"I told you they won't listen", I replied.

"No," Sophie said, her eyes were sparkling with hopes, "I mean, we should go talk to the one whose on top of all the managers...the CEO!"
I stare back at her with my mouth wide open. Dylan...?

My mind was spinning with all the possibility if we go to seek him for help. He'll probably just kick us out of his office before he'll even let us talk.

I bit my lips, "No..we can't, he won't waste his time to listen".

"Come on Hazel, how do you know? We have to give it a try? Maybe he's nothing like his father. Maybe he's will feel sympathy toward us and solve our problems".

My legs were planted to the floor, I refuse to budge as she tries to pull me forward.

"Please Hazel, do this for yourself".

I looked down, what should I do? From what I know of Dylan, I knew he won't give me an acceptable response. Will he?

I gave in and let myself being pulled behind by Sophie in hopes that Dylan will be on our side.

Beloved Readers,
Thank you for making it this far!! ❤️
A reader of mine told me that Hazel isn't as strong as she use to be, it seem as through she was breaking down bit by bit. What do you think? Should I toughen her up? Lastly, do you think Dylan will be on their side?