Chapter Eleven

"I'm starving, let's go somewhere to eat", Brandon suggested leaning against the wall watching me wiping down the windows. I was trying to focus on finishing up my work, but it was so difficult as I kept getting distracted by Brandon. He tweak up a smile as though remembering something,

"Maybe to the dinner that you promised".

My face blushed red again as he reminded me about the stupid unnecessary scene from yesterday.

"It's not even time for dinner yet", I said.

He's not going to let that go is he?

"Have you finished?", I asked curious how he was already done with his job. I sprayed the window with more windex, feeling rather anxious, with him waiting beside me. He shuffled through the stacks of cards in his hand, and looked up.

"Carlos's taking my shift, I'm going to be off early". He replied.

There was just a moment of silence before he speak up again.

"Want to see a magic trick?".

I stared at him, but I haven't even finish my work. But I suppose Brandon didn't take in the account that I was not even half way through my shift. However, as I met his innocent green eyes, I just couldn't force myself to deny.

"Sure", was the automatic reply.

Great, if the supervisor past by we're both going to be fried alive.

His smile broadened even at the fact that I'm his only audience he's performing for. His finger started to do the trick, splitting the cards apart, setting one chunk aside and holding the rest in his palm.

"I have eight cards", he stated, showing it to me by facing them down and spreading them out.

"Uh, yea", I agreed.

Didn't even give me a chance to count it.

"Kings and queens only, in a total of eight".

My eyes followed him as he skillfully shuffled the cards to mix them up. His eyes twinkled as he pulled two random ones out and snaps his finger. Turning them over, my face was plastered with surprise to see the red heart king matching perfectly with the red heart queen. Like a child, I continue to get amused, watching him magically pairing the cards up like a couple. For a moment, it feels like the world just froze, I was genuinely delighted with his mini entertainment. All my tasks seem to be forgotten for I was concentrating on the beautiful cards in between his fingers.

Once he was finished, I applauded to show my support as he gave me a warm satisfying smile.

"If only perfect pairs were to actually be together.."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "Pardon?".

Brandon gave a light grin to cover up what he had just said.

"So, dinner tonight?"

The same question have made me went back to wiping down the last window, "You're really annoying", I said in between my smiles.

"What..you never gave me an exact answer".

"I'll think about it", I responded.

From the corner of my eyes, I notice the somber puppy eyes hanging on his face for which melted my heart, like sunshine on an ice cream.

"That's not what you promised", he said
disappointedly as he gathered his cards and stuff them in his pocket. I sighed and adverted my eyes towards him.

"Alright Brandon, dinner at seven", I said finally giving in to him.

He cast me one of his signature boyish smile which suited him so well. He was pleased with my response, as I watch his dreamy face filled with happiness.

***

"Hazel! Brandon!".

Recalling that familiar voice I turned around to see Sophie hurrying towards us with a wide smile. I pull her into a bear hug and beamed happily.

"Are you off as well?".

She nodded excitedly, "Yes, I am".

"Alright, let me just hurry things up".

She joined Brandon as they patiently waited for me. Picking up my pace, I swiftly wipe down the remaining window and started to gather up my cleaning supplies.

"Have you guys met our new CEO yet?", Sophie asked. "There was a lot of rumors spreading around about him".

Oh..so that's what those ladies were talking about.

"You mean Dylan Ace?", Brandon asked.

The name nearly made me choke on myself, I finally realize the reason behind the unusual gossips today.

Ohh that arrogant guy. Funny how I never suspected him to be in the center of the attention this whole time, perhaps the ladies' descriptions weren't too off. Caramel hair, chiseled jaw, and stormy gray eyes..oh please, surely not that accurate.

"Is that his name? Dylan? He does look strikingly handsome", Sophie claimed.

I instinctively rolled my eyes, wait till you live with him and have him order you around.

"Seem rather cocky to me", Brandon added. Um hmm..exactly right. In this case, I'm leaning toward agreeing with Brandon.

"What do you think Hazel? How do you feel about him being our new CEO?".

I highly doubt he could manage to carry the duties of an CEO. The weight of that role seem burdensome and from what I know of him, a privileged bachelor like that, I have to admit my little faith of him succeeding.

"Uh..I haven't seen him yet".

A total lie to excuse myself from continuing with this conversation. Not only I've seen him, I probably was the one who have seen him more than other employees working here. However, it was not my best interest to speak of Dylan, the daddy's boy who demanded me to wash his suit on the very first day he came and inconsiderably expects everything to be laid out in front of him.

I scrubbed the window one last time with fury until not a speck of smudge was to be seen. Finally, I gave up on my remaining tasks as I declared breaking up the whole Dylan talk.

"Let's head to lunch!".