Chapter Nine

<Hazel>

As much as I hate to admit it, I was quite speechless when I saw Dylan the following morning. His shirt wasn't buttoned up fully since it was obviously too tight for him. His lean muscles were bulging through and for second I was worried that my rented shirt will be ripped.

Brandon's size doesn't work for him..

I giggled inside, imagining him struggling to fit it through.

I stifled a yawn while stirring the scrambled eggs along with some sprinkle of shredded cheese and salt. Just for the father and son, I made sure to also add in my hatred as an ingredient. I brewed the coffee and assumed that Mr. Dylan consumes the same amount of sugar and cream as his father. Then I set the coffees on the table and hurried back to the kitchen. After, decorating their plates with soft scramble eggs layered on top of the perfect crispy toasts and aligned with savory bacon as though it was meant for display rather than being eaten. I gently place the plates down on the table and took a step back. Acknowledging that they would be picky eaters, I also occupied the table with other choices such as, oatmeal, baked croissants, and cut up fruits.

Seeing Mr. Ace, did I recalled that he have forgotten to mention about my mistake yesterday. I was definitely relieved, his intimating glare was already enough to make me shudder.

<Dylan>

I lifted my arm to block the sun ray from penetrating my eyes. Bothered, I let out a groan and turned over on my side. God damn, who opened the curtain?

As the sunlight continues to find its way through my eyes, I finally gave up. I got up and glanced around, a familiar suit and tie was folded neatly on top of my drawer. Least she got something acceptable done. The smell of breakfast lured my attention away as I shuffled toward the bathroom to prepare for the day.

Perhaps I was too deep into my sleep that I didn't notice my father returning back last night. But here he is, sitting perfectly comfortable at the dinner table. He did not mention about the strange lady from yesterday, which I suppose he found no need to explain it at all. He sipped his coffee and cleared his throat,

"I'll be heading to Chicago tomorrow to take care of some business".

I quietly place a piece of bacon into my mouth, to hide the hint of displease toward his announcement.

Already? Father going to just leave me alone with the whole company?

As much as I'm eager to take over, yet deep inside I have to admit, I was a bit insecure with such news. I was about to give a taste of the coffee to hide my uneasiness when suddenly I halted the cup. Staring back at the deforming smiley face design, I decided to avoid the coffee for now.

"Are you able to handle the company?", he asked. As he slice his toast he added, "If you want, I can ask Linda my secretary to walk you through everything".

"Linda?", I curiously asked.

"Yes," he grinned, "Marvelous lady, I'm sure she'll assist you on everything...if she likes you..then it'll include helping you outside of her job criteria".

There was a sly smirk on his lip as though he was hinting something at me. My mind suggested that he might meant for something inappropriate, so I decided to not ask any further.

"I'll be fine", I declared, swallowing down my food and my uncertainty. I'll be alright.

"Of course you'll be fine bud, just give me a call if anything comes up".

That was it, it seem like he was expecting me to confidently take over no questions asked. I was nonetheless quite shocked on how uncommitted my father seems to be in handling his company. He had officially allowed me to handle everything without any doubts or worries.

"What's up with your shirt by the way?", he suddenly questioned, cocking his eyebrow at my constricted shirt. Without him noticing, my daunting eyes traveled to the culprit Hazel, who was standing behind him sheepishly. She tried to hide her smile, but uncontrollably failed. 

"It's nothing, " I mumbled trying to brush the conversation off.

Luckily, my father's phone ringed just at the right moment before he can ask any further.

"Hello Mr. Anderson, ahh..yes about the contract from last time..." I watches as my father wiped his mouth, fully engaging in the conversation.

Come to the think of it..where did she get this shirt without spending a single cent?...I slowly chewed the honeyed toast letting it sink down my throat while I try to reason it out.

An important friend of mine.

After awhile of speculation, I decided to loosen the thought, there's no need to get bothered by her relationships of any kind. I leant forward to grab a stir, whirling the coffee up to give a sip and stood up.

My father saw me getting ready and lowered his phone, "One moment Anderson," he instructed and directly his attention at me. "Ask Linda to walk you through", he reminded.

I slightly nodded as he went back to his business talk. I went back upstairs to quickly grab my car keys, just as I step out of the room, I notice Hazel hurrying down the stairs while pinning her name tag on her wrinkled work uniform. Seem like she's heading off to work. I hesitated debating whether not to offer a ride, but I quickly shake the thought off, and headed out the door.