Chapter Twenty Six

I handed the empty mug back to Ms. Mercer.
Her eyes seem to twinkle with delight.

"Thank you, I knew that stubborn child will listen to you".

I furrowed my eyebrow, "Pardon?"

"Oh nothing," she chirped and went back to cooking her dishes.

"Why not stay for dinner?" She offered.

It was very tempting, especially when you haven't ate much all day.

"Sure, I can also help you make dinner", I suggested.

A light gentle smile stretched across her lips.
Now I know where Brandon got his smile from.

"No dear, I got this. Now just wait upstairs and I'll call you two down once food is ready".

I nodded, feeling very touched by Ms. Mercer's sweet offer.

I headed upstairs, and walked into his room once again. Brandon had pulled out his laptop in front of him. I blushed, at his posture, somehow he could make himself appealing without much effort. He was slightly bend over, with his hoodie over his head. His attention fixated on his computer as his finger taps away.

He didn't seem to notice when I was heading towards him. It wasn't until I was sitting right beside him did he give me a smirk and leisurely draped his arm over my shoulder.

I smile back, brushing my wavy hair aside to curiously take a look at his computer. It was an news article from four years ago, where the Poker king has once again took the first place.

Poker king...

"Wait", I pressed Brandon's computer to zoom closer. "This man, he..he's in your family photo downstairs!", I exclaimed in recognization.

I stared at Brandon with an surprised unbelievable look, but he just casually brush it off like no big deal. The smirk on his face slowly faded.

"Yea, he's my ...father", he admitted.

"Oh my god Brandon...he's your father?!" I mouthed. "He's the mysterious man who have won the poker king competition every time it was hosted!".

He nodded, "Just because he had won billions, the authorities got suspicious, they suspect that he was cheating. They demanded to hunt him down. I doubt they will succeed though, since even me and mum don't  have the slightest clue where he had disappeared to"

Brandon sighed heavily, and shut off his computer, tossing it aside.

Good job Hazel, for bringing up awkward conversations like this.

"Don't worry Brandon," I confronted, "Not every dad is a jerk like mine. I'm sure he'll show up one day."

Brandon glanced at me and managed to give me a small grin.

"Enough about him, why don't we watch a movie instead while you're here".

Even through I was actually more interested to know more about his father, but I decided to settle with a movie, since Brandon clearly doesn't want me to mention any further.

Brandon have shut off his bedroom light, apparently he said it'll make us concentrate on the film better. So here I am laying against his shoulder while we're both focusing on the enormous flatscreen in front of us.

I didn't know what film we're even watching, judging by the first twenty minute it seem like those typical stupid romance show. As long as it's not a horror film, I could deal with it.

"You know Hazel..", he muttered softly shifting his hand forward to wrap around mine. How warm it feels with his slightest touch.
"I...I'm wondering in we could move beyond than just..being friend".
I was glad Brandon shut off the light, or else he'll discover how red my face was at this moment. I knew this was coming, the more I tried to avoid him from asking, the more he insist to do the opposite. What should I say?  I surely don't want to hurt his feelings by saying the wrong thing.

"I..I don't know Brandon.."

It was rather dim to tell how Brandon is reacting to this, so I reached forward and cupped my hand against his cheek. Slowly I slide my fingers toward the corner of his mouth, there was a faint curve to his lips..he's..smiling.
He lifted his hand grabbing mines and leaned closer, an unexpected rush of warmth flows through my body.

"Think about it will you?", he purred in my ear.

I immediately blushed pulling my hand away, "Are you having a fever Brandon?", I joked.

"I'm serious!".

Even without the light shining on him, I could already imagine his innocent face plastered with the sweet charming smile of his. Why did I hesitate at his question? Who was I waiting for?

The flat screen suddenly flickered, startled I glanced toward the screen to see what's going on.

Then I screamed.

It was no romantic cheesy film after all. It was a horror film, yes a god damn horror film where creepy bloody characters pop out of nowhere.

"Brandon!", I cried angrily, "Why did you make me watch this!".

He was laughing so wildly that he was half coughing. Looking around I grabbed the nearest pillow to throw at him.

"Oh come on Hazel", he laughed holding up his arm to block the flying pillows, "You didn't really expect me to put on some random films, when I finally got the chance to have you watch it with me."

"Brandon!!", I yelled tossing another pillow aimlessly.

"Shutting the lights off just make it even better doesn't it?"

I plop back down on his bed, and took a few deep breath to calm my temper.
Finally finished up with his laughers, he inches closer to me.
"Come on Hazel, don't be mad".
I didn't response, crossing my arm like an angry child. I wouldn't be surprise if I get a nightmare from this.
"Hazel?" He tugged my arm, "I was just joking".
"It's still streaming", I murmured, pointing at the screen.
"Oh of course", he stated, grabbing the remote from his drawer and turned it off. But he accidentally turned the whole screen off, leaving us in pitch black darkness.
"Blast," he murmured.

Light slips in from the bed room door, "Sweetie?" Brandon's mother poke her head in, "Why is it so dark in here?" She then covered her mouth, her cheeks glowing rosy, "Oh..uh...I'm so sorry to ruin the fun, but come down, dinner's ready".

With that the door clicked shut, I could still hear Ms. Mercer giggling outside.
What's so funny? I cocked my eyebrow in confusion. What did she mean by that? Ruin the fun? But we weren't even doing anything fun. Unless you consider getting pranked into watching a horror movie is fun..
I pondered for a moment, allowing her words to fully register into my mind. Wait..she can't possibly think that we're doing..my face twisted with disgust, Oh hell! I have to hurry down and explain myself!