Chapter Fourteen

She was still chewing on a piece of lamb chop as she watches the server bought over more plates of food.

"Are we going to finish all this?", she mouthed.
Brandon had his arm crossed on the table, before lifting up a glass of wine and taking a sip.

"Just take some home for later," he grinned.

Even with the sandwich from lunch earlier, she was nonetheless still hungry. She sliced another tender piece from the lamb, dipped it with some sauce then letting it savor into her mouth. If she's not at a fancy restaurant right now, where manners is highly judged, she would've just gobble down each plate like a starving child. She had never tasted anything as fine as the foods before her.

"How was it?", he asked "I hope it meet up to your expectations".

"Delicious!", she beamed, filling with delight.

Expectations? The thought of coming to an expensive restaurant never even crosses her mind. In fact, she was expecting pizzas and soda.

He smiled and slightly chewed on his food, his heart felt warm, not because of the pleasing food but it was the satisfactions and enjoyable look that plastered on her face.

"You're a mess".

She looked up, somewhat confused and tried to blindly wiped her lip with an handkerchief. To her surprised, he leaned forward and gently rub the edge of his napkin against her cheek, erasing the sauce marks.

"There".

She blushed and immediately looked down focusing on her food. Her cheek were still rosy where his index finger had gently rubbed against.

Calm down Hazel..it's just a friendly dinner.

"Thank you", she said softly, while avoiding his captivating look.

Brandon set the wine glass down and studied her. "Do you live at that house in Poker street? Where your second job is located?".

She dropped her fork suddenly as though the question struck her by surprise.
I knew it, here comes the question that I tried so hard to avoid.

"Um..."

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to", he explained, "I was just curious that's all".

She silently pick up her silverware, watches as Brandon glance out toward the view outside. His emerald eyes glistened as they come in contact with the starry night sky.

Her throat felt dry, she didn't know how to answer him. She took a gulp of the glass water, but that did not help calm her down.

"Yes..I do live there", she muttered quietly. She just couldn't keep going with lies to hide where she live. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."
"It's fine", he said cutting her off, "Everyone's allow to have their own secret".

Instinctively a smile spread across her lip, the understanding and agreeing remarks from Brandon was enough for her to feel ridiculous comfy in the inside. Every time she was faced with problems, she knew he will not ask twice to do above and beyond for her. Perhaps for Brandon, there's something else he's reaching for, something more than just mere friend.

He stop the car in front of the classic house and glance toward her. At his second visit, she had reveal to him that she officially live here. Nonetheless, he was surprise that she been living here all along.

She quietly stare back him, why am I nervous? Just bid goodbye and leave.

With the soft music playing in the background, she didn't back up when he intended to lean forward so close that she could smell his minty breath.

"See you at work", a mischievous smile played on his lip. She was slightly disappointed but quickly covered up with a broad smile. What was I expecting anyway?

"Goodnight!"

He silently drummed the steering wheel watching as she left the car and heading toward the front door. After she's completely out of view, he finally took a deep breath, and rolled down the street.

***

The detecter unlocked the door as she reach the front. Once inside, she left the orders on the table, her eyes trailed to the fridge where the sticky note was still placed at the exact spot. Did he not come home yet? She strolled upstairs to find Dylan's room shut, so she gave it a few knocks. There wasn't any answer, as she was just about to leave, she heard shuffling of shoes as the door flung open.

The faint smell of ramen noodle escapes the room as Dylan stood in front of her with a plain black T-shirt and sweatpants. He frowned upon her appearance, folded his arm and leaned his muscular body against the door.

"I suppose you finally remember the time to come home".

She let out a scoff, here we go with the arguing.

"I told you I'll be back soon, plus I never
acknowledge that I'm chain to a time frame".

Talking against Dylan never intimates her, even when he was glaring down at her right this moment with his fierce stormy gray eyes, she did not back up at all.

A sudden mischievous smile spread across her lip as she glance around the room.

"Are you mad because I didn't cook?", She lean to the side to peek behind him, spotting an empty noodle container beside his laptop. "And that you have to eat instant noodle instead..."

This time there was no doubt he was angry. His features twitched with irritation.

"If you would've been considerate enough to cook before you leave", he scowled.

"I did bring some leftovers...", She said quietly but that did not help in changing his mood.

"Miss Welkin, am I someone who consume leftovers?"

He especially emphasis on the word as though it was disgusting for him to even say it.

Well..you did just eat a basic instant noodle so.. she bit her lip, deciding that it's better for her to just not argue back.

"Hand over your phone".

Wait what?

She clenched her pocket and backed up.
"What? No, I'm not giving you my stuff".

"Hand. It. Over.", he said with a firm voice.

What does he want my phone for?

"My phone?", she asked with a confused look.

"That's what I just said", he replied sternly stretching out his palm.

She stare back at his icy expression, steely cold. He doesn't seem like he's joking. With uncertainty she complied, slowly pulling out her vulnerable phone and placed it on his hand. I suppose there's nothing he can do to it..if he breaks it, I'm going to demand him to buy me a new one, a better one, in fact a newer version.

She watches him as he scroll through her phone, tapping the screen and murmuring something under his breath. Pictures maybe? Why is he snooping in my privacy.

"Don't look through my stuff", she mumbled to remind him, but he take no notice of her words.

"Here," He said, tossing it back at her as she frantically catch it.

"What did you do?", She asked, looking through it to see if he did any damage.

He didn't respond.

Frustrated she couldn't seem to find a flaw in her phone to point out at him..what did he do?