CHAPTER 4: How Old Is She?

DORIAN

Already I had today filled with things I needed to do and now I was having to meet with the head Elder of the council. He told me it was important, although no matter if it was or not, as head Elder of the wolf council, you always go no matter what.

Once I arrived at the council hall, I sat in the same chair I always sat at during the meetings and waited for him to come in.

When he did, I expected more to be with him too but it was just him.

"Elder." I greeted him as I stood up and bowed.

"Alpha." He greeted me back with the bow of his head and we both then took a seat.

"So, what's going on?" I asked.

"Well I'll cut to the chase since there's a lot you and I both have to do. I have a big favor to ask of you." He begins.

"Like what?" I asked a little worried.

"A very good friend of mine has died not too long ago and her daughter is in danger. I need for her to be protected by the best pack I know and who I can trust." He begins.

"You're kidding right? I don't do the whole babysitting thing. No offense." I tell him.

"Maybe I should have rephrased that. This isn't a request, this is more along the lines of you doing this." He says.

"We don't do this kind of a thing." I remind him.

"Please." He begins while rolling his eyes. "You and I both know that you have been trying really hard to prove yourself worthy of sitting beside me in the council where your father used to sit. Don't get me wrong, you and your pack have proven a lot. However, by doing this, I will let you claim the chair next to me without going through the trials and tests that are required for that position." He finishes.

I try and think about it for a moment. It takes a lot and there's so much you have to be put through in order to get that seat next to him, just as my father had done. Then even after the tests, it is up to the rest of the Elders to decide of I get it.

"What exactly do I have to do?" I ask.

"It's simple, she is to not go anywhere unprotected and alone. She is to be protected at all costs." He explains.

"Who is she? Is she royal or something?" I asked.

"She is just very special to me and is very important to our future." He tells me vaguely.

"So let me get this straight, you want me and my pack to watch over some girl who is the daughter of one of your good friends who recently died and me not even know her name?" I asked.

"All you need to know for now is that your reputation and the future of our kind lies in your hands. And by the way, her name is Mystic. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to attend another meeting in a few minutes."
He mentions as he gets up and starts leaving.

I can't believe this. I can't believe I'm agreeing to this whole crazy idea. No offense to him but come in, there's a catch in here, something important that he is leaving out. However, I guess it doesn't matter at this moment at least since he already left. I guess I will need to wait until later to talk to him through mind-link.

When I made my way back to the house and got out of the car and began making my way towards the house, while just standing several feet away from the front door, I was hit with a strong beautiful and calming scent of vanilla

"Mate." My wolf tells me.

Couldn't be my mate inside. Things like that just don't happen, one day, for me.

To avoid any awkward moment or anything, I decided I'd come in through the back. Then once I got inside, the scent was even stronger.

"Jade! I need to speak with you now!" I yell out to her.

While trying to explain to her our situation, I heard her tell me the girl was already here.

"What do you mean already here?" I asked.

"Yeah, Mystic. She got here not too long ago and honestly, we all seem to think she's cool.  She's really beautiful too." Jade winks at me and smiles.

I just roll my eyes.

"Whatever." I reply. "We aren't supposed to be friends with her. Just like I tried to mind-link with you on my way here, explaining the situation, this is an assignment that'll be good for us." I tell her.

"Wait a minute." She looks at me a little bit confused. "What's the REAL reason for doing all of this?" She asks while crossing her arms over her chest.

"I told you, it'll be great for our pack."

"Okay, I know that that's bullshit. Tell me now before I beat it out of you." She tells me.

"I already told you." I tell her as I avoid eye contact with her.

I then hear her begin to growl lowly.

"Fine." I finally gave up seeing as to how her and her wolf are way too aggressive for rough housing. "If we pull this off, I can get my seat next to the head Elder in the meetings. I'd have dad's seat." I murmur the last part.

"You what? I thought we talked about this already?! That nobody should sit in that seat. That needs to be a reminder to all about how great our dad was and a reminder as to how great it all used to be when he was there." She says irritated.

"No, YOU said that. I have always wanted that seat and you know it. Besides, I think you're just jealous cause you know you could never get it." I smirk at her.

Her face began turning red and what I meant as a joke (that given, she does hate and doesn't find too funny) starts to growl as she lunges towards me and punches me hard sending me flying back a few feet and putting a huge crack in the wall behind me from the impact.

Okay, so maybe that wasn't a good time to joke about that. Although she seems more rattled up.

I hear her tell Mystic, I'm assuming to head upstairs to her room. Which I guess that means I will meet our guest tomorrow. This should be interesting. I wonder how old she is. Fifteen? Ten?

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)