13: I Love You

Jack noticed the other three were getting tired so they stopped in the forest for the night. Hiccup and Merida went to get fire wood and some fish to eat from a nearby stream. Elsa and Jack sat there awkwardly, waiting for them to come back.

The sky was dark and the stars shone brightly. Jack lay on the grass and gazed at them.

"What are you doing?" Elsa asked with a hint of annoyance. She was sitting on a log a few feet away from him. "We should set up the tents." She stood up and started walking toward the bags.

"Looking at the stars. You should join me, you can't always see this many stars."

Elsa walked over to his right side, the cape of her favorite dress was trailing behind her. She usually wore the dress twice a week. "Come on we are going to set up the tents before they get back." She grabbed his hand and tried to pull him up, but he yanked her down instead. "Jack!" Elsa squealed. Her head was on my shoulder and her arms were pushing him away from her. Jack's hand that was on her waist kept her from moving, though.

"Can't you ever learn to relax and have some fun?"

"No." She huffed, "Now would you let go of me and help with the tents?"

He mocked her voice, "No. Now would you relax and look at the stars?" His voice changed back to his own instead of his impression of her. "Look up and tell me what you see."

"Why?"

"Just do it, Els."

Elsa rolled her eyes but looks up. His hand was still on her hip but she didn't seem to care, she was too busy smiling at the stars. "They're beautiful. I've never been able to see them well from my window in Arendelle." She gaped. Jack remembered what she said about being locked away from society for thirteen years. "But when I built my ice castle..." Her smile grew wider. "I was able to be free and see everything."

Every time Jack looked at her he felt something. Something different and new. Something he never felt before. If it was what he thought it was--if it was love that he was feeling--then he shouldn't be letting himself fall in love with a mortal.

But then he thought back to what Máni told them about the four dying to become immortal and guardians.

So he had to tell her...Jack had to tell Elsa he loved her--this tim when she wasn't sleeping. Because now he knew that he could. Now he knew everything would work out in the end...right?

"Elsa?"

"Yes, Jack?" She turnned her head away from the stars and her light blue eyes stared into him. It feels almost as if she knew what he was going to say.

Jack took a deep breath due to his sudden nervousness. "I need to tell you that..." I can't do this! "Well..."

Here it goes! "I lo--"

"I love you too, Jack." His gaze flickered down to Elsa, a curious look in his eyes. She smiled lightly, "Next time you don't want someone to hear something, make sure that they are actually sleeping first."

So she was awake last night when I put her in her bed... Her face was less than an inch from his, "I love you, Elsa."

Jack moved a stray lock of her hair behind her ear. He leaned close to her soft lips just they just brushed each other when--

"We're back!" Hiccup called. Elsa and Jack quickly pulled apart and stood up. Jack leaned against his staff so he didn't look suspicious. Hiccup was carrying firewood and so was Toothless--but on his back. Merida held a basket of fish. "Jack, mind giving me a hand?" Hiccup grunted. He was holding way more wood than the scrawny kid could handle.