19: Don't Deny It

Merida held on to Hiccup as the dragons landed. Kristoff jumped off and raced towards Anna. Merida glanced at Astrid and Rapunzel who were watching their reunion intently.

In front of her Hiccup sighed. He hopped down from Toothless and held his hand out to her. She didn't know why, but she ignored him. Usually she wouldn't have objected but defiance stirred inside of her...the only problem was that she didn't know what exactly she was defying.

Merida turned to the right, opposite of Hiccup, and slid down. Her boots made crunching sounds in the snow; as she started walking away, Toothless nudged her with his head. She spun around to face the dark creature, "What?" She demanded.

He rolled his bright green eyes as if to say don't deny it.

"What?" She said again.

"Merida?" Hiccup walked out from behind Toothless. Toothless laid down and Hiccup leaned against him. "What's wrong? You've been acting...different...lately. Are you having the nightmares again? Because you know I could never hate you, Merida." He said softly.

His kind words made Merida's insides churn. Why did he do this to her? Over the last few days, every time he looked at her she felt that way. She got that churning, butterflies-in-her-stomach feeling every time he talked to her, looked at her with those emerald green eyes.

But the cold hard truth was that Hiccup loved Astrid, and he wouldn't leave Astrid for her. She knew that, but she couldn't help feeling--like he said--different.

Surely she wasn't in love with him. She had refused to marry last year when her mother was trying to force her into it. She wanted to choose her own fate, which meant not marrying. She didn't need a king to help her rule the kingdom. But what does that have to do with Hiccup? Her mind wandered from place to place until finally--

"Merida?" Hiccup asked.

Her absurd thoughts vanished. "Nay. Da nightmares aren't back...nat yet anyways."

"Then what's wrong?"

His constant questioning forced her to snap, "It dusn't madder Hiccup!" She yelled quietly.

Hiccup was startled by her sudden outburst. "There's obviously something bothering you! You've been acting like this ever since...ever since..." His eyes darted in Astrid's direction then quickly focused back on Merida.

It started to snow again. Everyone but the two of them shouted at Jack.

Merida scowled, he thought she was jealous. Am I? She forced herself to stop thinking and start speaking. "Since Astrid came 'ere, rite? Yoou think I'm jealous, don't yoou?"

She purposely waited for him to start stuttering...which he did. "Well--I don't--what other--I mean--there isn't much--uh--"

"Wail I'm not!"

She angrily trudged away from him, following the others that were headed inside the castle.

Jack left Elsa's side and started walking alongside Merida. "What were you arguing with him about this time?" He sighed, rolling his eyes. She huffed and continued walking, annoyed by the idiotic frost-ass. "Come on, Mer, what was it?"

"He tinks I'm jelus!" She shouted finally. It felt good for her to let it go but at the same time she didn't really want to tell this information to Jack.

"Well...Merida...we all think you are."

His words made her stop dead in her tracks. Everyone thought she was jealous? Why? She didn't like Hiccup. She couldn't like Hiccup!

Jack stared at her, watching her, as if to see if she would give anything away. "Yup, keep holding those feelings in, that'll make you feel better about it."

"I'm nat 'olding anyting in!"

"Don't deny it, Red."

"Frost!" She took her bow off her shoulder and an arrow out of the quiver, aiming at him for the hundredth time.

Jack chuckles nervously, "Oh do you hear that? Elsa needs me, so I better go."

❅ ❅ ❅ ❅ ❅

Merida sat alone on a sofa in the sitting room, pondering. What exactly? Her jealousy. Was she really jealous of Astrid? She couldn't be. She had no reason to be. I mean sure he's spending more time with Astrid and less with me, but that's because she's his girlfriend. But then again he shouldn't stop spending time with his friends because he was in a relationship with her. But again he has known her longer than he's known us...

This was too confusing, it was making Merida's head hurt.

She sighed, rubbing her temples for a second, then pulling her legs up and wrapping her arms around them. She stared at the fireplace where there was a roaring fire. The flames were a mix of reds and oranges, they were wild and untamed, reminding Merida of her hair.

She continued watching the fire, as if waiting for it to tell her the answer to her dilemma. But deep down inside she knew it wouldn't.

A shrill scream sounded from the hallway.

Merida bolted up, rushing out the door. When she entered the hall she saw Rapunzel shivering in fear on the floor. But the two girls weren't alone. Standing just a few yards away, in the shadows was Pitch Black.

Pitch walked over to Rapunzel and grabbed her by the arm. "I already have the snow ones, they did put up more of a fight though. You, my dear, are just too easy." He seethed to her then looked at Merida, "I've taken them all off your hands now."

Merida shot an arrow but Pitch disappeared, and the arrow lodged in the wall.

Footsteps came from behind her, "Merida, What happened?" Hiccup asked.

"They're gone," She whispered. Her arms dropped to her sides as her eyes widened in panic--or maybe it was fear that was rising within her--it couldn't have been fear though...She has, after all, always been brave.

________________________________________________________

Hello Guardians!

I'm sorry this was so short again...I was grounded and needed to update. Little bit of language (just one word). This chapter did not go in the original direction I planned on...oh well I only plan on another ten chapters in this book, which means you only have ten chapters to vote for the ships. This time when you vote I want you to convince me to choose that ship (why do you want it?). Your vote doesn't count if you don't say why. TALLY SO FAR: Mericcup 37--Hiccstrid 30. At this point in time my personal opinion on the ship is waning...I'm very conflicted.

Oh and 10,207 reads! Holy shiz I love you all so much! Your all so supportive and I couldn't have gotten this far without all of you. Especially @Why_would_YOU_care77 thanks so much Celeste and Yenifer!

Keep reading,
PrincessSelene04