Chapter 2

Melissa and I were sitting in her car, parked in the lot of my new school, Oceanview High. I was studying my new peers as they met up with their friends, hugged, compared schedules, you know, all that first day crap.

I could feel my sister's eyes boring into the side of my face. Taking a deep breath, I met her stare. She had been wearing the same worried look on her face all morning, even though I told her a bunch of times that I would be FINE.

That was mostly the truth. I was a nervous wreck, but I was determined to make it through the day without bothering her. Melissa was a busy woman, and I didn't want to steal her attention away from her job unless it there was an emergency.

I grabbed my backpack off the floor next to me and opened the car door, sliding outside. I turned around and gave her a thumbs up.

"Call me if you need anything, okay?" she said, starting her car.

"I'll see you later, Mel" I replied. I waved goodbye, popped an earbud in, then made my way towards the front doors.

Once I was inside, I immediately started my search for the main office. First thing on the agenda: obtain my schedule and books for classes. I quickly learned that Oceanview was a gigantic school; I spent a huge chunk of time searching for the main office, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

"School my ass, this place is a maze" I muttered to myself. I eventually decided to sit down at a small, glass table in what looked to be the cafeteria. The place was modern as hell; there was a whole Starbucks in the cafeteria. I considered getting a latte, but the line was tremendously long.

I rested my head in my hands and focused on the lyrics to "breathin" by Ariana Grande, which was blasting through my right earbud. I had music on most of the time because it helped me stay calm. Music was my escape; not only did I love to listen, but I liked to sing and dance as well. I wasn't half bad either.

I watched the time on my phone as it kept getting closer and closer to 7:30am - start time. Okay then, time to be awkward and ask for help.

Just as I was approaching a group of girls at a nearby table, I saw one of them hop out of her seat, shouting someone's name. "LUCAS!"

Lucas?

I followed her gaze to a tall boy with blonde hair who was leaving the Starbucks line, small coffee in hand, brown leather satchel slung over his shoulder. He stopped abruptly, locating the girl and throwing up his hand.

"Come sit with us!" another one of the girls shouted, waving him over. Lucas strolled over. "Hey ladies!" he grinned "Sorry I can't stay, i'm on my way to the office. Secretary duty awaits. I'll see you in class" the girls sighed but bid him goodbye.

Wait... did he say he was on his way to the office?

"HEY! WAIT! OFFICE BOY!"

Yikes, that turned a lot of heads...

...including Lucas's, YES!

I slowly approached him "Uh.. hey there" Well, this is awkward "Sorry to bother you. I'm actually looking for the office; I need to get my books and my schedule..."

He tilted his head slightly to the right, raising an eyebrow "Freshman?"

"Oh, no, i'm a junior, I -"

"Hold up!" he exclaimed, "are you the Michigan transfer?"

"Yes..."

"OH! Awesome! C'mon then, let's go" he motioned for me to follow him, and asked, "what's your name?"