Chapter 57

-Ava's POV-

-Friday, November 16th 3:00pm-

I refused to go to school on Friday. I was sick and tired of acting like everything was okay when it wasn't. I didn't want to keep lying to my friends. Daphne, Rylee, and Lucas all texted me, asking me if I was okay, but I couldn't figure out how to answer them. I was so anxious over my sister's whereabouts that I couldn't think of anything else.

I did not hear from Jaxon until 2pm. He texted me that he was coming over after school, and to make sure that I was alone.

I glanced over at Steve who was sound asleep on the couch. He had spent all last night and the majority of today trying to contact Melissa with no luck. I was surpised that he hadn't already filed a missing persons report, but I was sure he would if this went on for too much longer.

Me: Steve should hear whatever it is you have to say. He really cares about Melissa. This is driving him nuts.
Jaxon: No.
Me: Why not?!
Jaxon: Send him home.

I sighed, setting my phone down on the table. I tiptoed over to Steve, poking his shoulder.

"Steve?" I whispered. "Hey uh-"

Well this was awkward.

Thankfully he yawned, and his eyelids fluttered open.

"Hm?" he groaned, rubbing his eyes.

"I uh, need to be alone for a little while" I lied, biting my lip. He peered up at me, furrowing his brows.

"Huh?" he sounded groggy, and I felt horrible about shooing him out. I contemplated just dropping the whole thing and letting him stay, but something told me that what Jaxon knew involved stuff that Steve shouldn't know.

"Thank you for staying with me today, I appreciate it. I really just want to be alone for a little while."

He pushed himself up, his short brown hair sticking up every which way. He yawned, stretching out. "I get it" he replied. "I'm coming back tomorrow to check on you. If Melissa's not back by then, we're going the police. If you hear anything, or need anything, call me."

I nodded, mentally thanking him for being so kind and understanding. I felt awful for lying to him.

He slid on his work shoes, grabbing his tie, wallet, and keys off the table. I sat on the floor with my pets, waving goodbye as he left.

Around 2:30, Jaxon arrived, letting himself in. Luffy greeted him as per usual, and the cats ducked out of the room at the sight of a visitor.

"Hey" he greeted, running his hand through his hair.

"Hey" I replied. I could immediatly tell that he was off, which I figured meant the news I was about to recieve was probably going to suck. My stomach started to twist into knots.

"I uh- don't know where to start" he said, biting his lip. "I found Melissa."

You'd think that news would have brightened my day, but his tone of voice, and the way he kept fiddling with his hands made me believe that something was definitely wrong.

"What happened?" my voice cracked.

He knelt down next to be, grabbing my hands. "She's okay. She's not hurt-"

"Where is she then?" I asked. My heart was pounding so hard I thought I might faint.

He was silent, his eyes drooping. "She's with my boss. She was captured by the Crimson Blaze."

The words rang through my head a million times over. Captured. Captured by the Crimson Blaze.

"Your gang?" I whimpered, trying to hold back my tears, but ultimately failing.