Chapter 11

Sorry for the slow start. Hope you're enjoying the story! :')

-------------

Another night, another nightmare. If my sleep schedule was bad before now it was straight up fucked. Apparently two large lattes were not enough to wake me up; I was dozing off in my first three classes. At lunch I was trying to pay attention to Rylee, who was extremely excited about making the cheer team.

"Right Ava?"

"Right. Wait, right what?" I was clearly failing to focus.

"You've been zoned out all morning" Rylee sighed.

"Seriously Ava, whats up with you? Lucas chimed in. I waved my hand at them, yawning, "i'm fine guys. I just haven't been sleeping that well." Concern was spread across both of their faces, but I tried to ignore it. If I told them about my nightmares, i'd have to tell them about one of the worst days of my life.

A high pitched scream made me glance up, my eyes finding Daphne and her friends. The group was being extra loud and obnoxious today. Especially Zane, who kept tasering all the girls, howling laughing as they shrieked in surprise. Of course he would be messing with them like that.

I tried to re focus on Rylee and Lucas, who were still on the topic of cheer. "I still don't know what to do about my job" Rylee said "I called my manager about it, but she didn't answer. I'm worried because it's not like I have time to put in my two weeks, I have to be at practice today!"

"Did you at least get somebody to cover your shifts for a while?" Lucas asked.

You know, I am looking for a job since i'm not on the team anymore... WAIT!

"Rylee! I can totally take over your job!" I shouted, enthusiastically. She furrowed her brows, and I realized she was under the impression I was still on the team. Oops.

"What do you mean 'take over my job'?" she asked slowly. I exchanged an uneasy glance with Lucas, and when I looked back at Rylee her arms were crossed, left eyebrow raised. "Ava, what do you mean?" she demanded.

"So here's the thing, Ry. I'm the one who quit the team. I mightttt have talked to Whitney about you getting my spot. There are only 12 girls allowed on the team, and I honestly didn't even want to tryout in the first place. I'm sorry if you're upset, but I know how much you wanted to be on the team-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence, because she practically leapt over the table, pulling me into a hug. "You'd seriously do that for me?" she squealed "Ava, THANK YOU! You're the best freaking friend ever!"

Relief washed over me. "You're welcome Ry" I said, "Seriously though, i'm planning on looking for a job now since i'm not in any sport or club. I want to save up to buy a car, so if you think your manager would let me take over for you-"

"I'll call and ask her right now!" she exclaimed, getting up from the table "Be right back!"

When she was away from us, Lucas held up his hand for a high five "That was really sweet of you to do that for her, Ava."

I shrugged "It was no biggie."

Rylee sat back down a few minutes later, and told me I could go in to talk to her manager at 5pm to see about the job. The bell rang, so we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways to class. In fourth hour I made sure I thanked Whitney, even though she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. Whatever, I knew I had gotten through to her.

I ended up walking with Gray to fifth period. "So you really quit cheer already?" he asked. I nodded, telling him it wasn't for me. He grunted in response "You're right, football is more of your thing" he paused, looking down at me "That really was a good catch, but that wasn't me who complimented you"