Chapter 51

Payton ^
————

Unfortunatly, the regular football season was over, and playoffs didn't start until the following week, so Friday night was planless and boring. Daphne had been blowing up my phone for hours about coming with her and "the girls" to Oblivion, but to be blunt, that sounded horrible. Especially considering "the girls" are Payton, Faye, and probably other cheerleaders.

Instead, I spent a good chunk of my night watching Melissa race around the house, getting herself put together for date night with Steve. The girl was a nervous wreck, and I didn't understand why.

"Mel, chill" I said, raising an eyebrow "you see the guy, like, every single day"

"Yeah, at work" she whined, tugging at her dress. "This is a date. A date date. We're going out to dinner, a movie, then i'm going back to his place-"

"You're what?" I asked, almost choking on the water. She paused, awkwardly smiling. "Well, he asked if I wanted to spend the night at his place tonight"

"And you said yes?" I was surprised because my sister didn't seem like the type to do that.

"Yes I did" she mumbled, her voice trailing off. She seemed uneasy now, picking at her fingernails. "Ava..." she said quietly, "If you don't want me to-"

"Hold on" I interruped, crossing my arms. "Don't say what I think you're going to"

"But-"

"No no no" I shook my head, standing up. I grabbed her shoulders, looking her directly in the eyes. "I didn't mean to come across judgey. I'm really excited for you! You don't need to come home tonight, I am completely fine by myself. I want you to have a good time, okay? You deserve it."

The corner of her lips turned up and she pulled me into a hug. "Thanks, Ava. I don't ever want you to think I would leave you high and dry for some guy. You're always going to be my number one priority"

"I know sis" I whispered, smiling. "I'll see you tomorrow."

She pulled on her knee-high boots, rushing out the door when Steve just pulled in the driveway.

I watched her get in the car and when they pulled away, I went to lay down. I was happy for my sister, and it didn't bother me in the slightest that she had a guy in her life. Steve seemed like a great dude. From what I could tell he was polite, kind, and helpful. The only flaw was.. well... not HIS fault, but that bratty Payton was his younger sister.

Another hour passed by and I thought I would die of boredom, so I texted Jaxon.

Jaxon: Sorry doll. Guys night.
Me: Shoot. Okay, have fun!
Jaxon: You know it.

I groaned, typing out an SOS text to Lucas.

Lucas: Out of town this weekend boo

DAMN IT!

Rylee: Girl I have soooo much homework this weekend ): I really need to focus.
Me: But it's Friday night! You have two more days!
Rylee: I'm busy tomorrow night, and Sunday I have family visiting from out of town. Sorry girl. Just have a relaxing night. Binge a show or something.

Phooey. No one was free. Except...

Daphne: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASSSEEE COME TO OBLIVION! PLEASE! I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER!

Maybe...

Nah.

I was not going to waste my night babysitting Daphne and getting shunned by the Payton posse.