Chapter 17

-Jaxon's P.O.V-

I met up with Rogue and Blade in downtown L.A. at a small, tucked away diner. It wasn't nearly as good as Delia's, but it was close to the race course. Between the three of us, we ordered more food then could fit on our table.

It was a relief to not have to spend Saturday's on missions anymore, since race days were normally mission free. All three of us were racing tonight, and come to think of it, the fourth guy from Oceanview would be there tonight as well. I'm not too close with him, but Rogue and Blade are. I'd heard that Fang (his street name) was a straight savage on missions. The boss had even implied once that Fang had the potential to be the number one gang member, however he wasn't because he lacked racing skills.

Rogue and Blade had finished their food and had went outside to smoke, so I took the opportunity to rest my eyes and relax. I kept picturing Ava, her beautiful, petite stature, her exquisite hazel eyes, her perfectly plump lips and pearly white smile.

I had no idea what came over me this morning, but I had enjoyed being in her company more than I thought I would. She was intriguing, clearly unwilling to unveil too much about herself, but still willing to share bits and pieces. I was careful to keep the conversation focused around her. She could not find out about my gang work.

I knew I shouldn't want to be her friend. I couldn't afford to have too many close relationships, but there was no rule against being good acquaintances, especially since it was becoming difficult to avoid her.

Around 8:30 pm I paid our bill then met up with the guys outside. We drove to the race track, where a bunch of the Snakes were already parked. I couldn't find the boss anywhere, but I saw Fang leaning against his bike away from the other Crimson Blaze. I parked near him, Rogue and Blade doing the same. Blade slapped Fang on the back, Rogue handed him a blunt, and I simply gave him a nod.

"Devil" he nodded back "Sorry I missed your party last night, I was on a job"

"I thought the boss gave you the night off because of our game?"

"I picked up a little extra work" he grunted, taking a drag. He strolled past me, patting me on the shoulder. I watched him saunter over to where the boss had emerged from the shadows.

"Boss man looks fucking pissed" Rogue muttered under his breath. I studied the bosses face, making a mental note to avoid him tonight at all costs.

It was 9pm, time for the races to begin. There were three tonight, and I was in the second one. Rogue and Fang lined up for the first race, along with a multitude of other Crimson Blaze and a bunch of Snakes. A tall, athletic-looking woman with short but spiked hair stood in front of the bikers, popping her gum. At the pistol shot, the racers took off.

We awaited the racers return patiently. Blade was smoking, lounged on a mound of dirt, and I stood next to him eyeing the boss. He kept glancing at the Snakes' leader, daggers practically shooting out of his eyes each time. Something was definitely going on between those two.

The roar of the bikes grew closer and closer, and finally the leaders zoomed around the bend and across the finish line. Rogue came in first, not surprisingly, and a Snake pulled in a few seconds behind. In third place was Fang, which seemed to please the boss, who took a moment to whoop and holler for his nephew. Fang's placing surprised me, but maybe he'd been practicing.

I got on my bike and rolled up to the starting line. All the other Crimson Blaze in this race were mediocre racers. I caught the boss watching me, so I gave a small nod. He need not worry, I would secure first place.

The woman with the pistol danced her way in front of us, counting down until the shot. As we took off, the Snake next to me sharply turned in front of my bike, trying to cut me off. I braked, avoiding a collision, then wheelied up next to him. I made a sharp turn towards my shortcut, then sped up as fast as I could. I zipped around bends, flew over hills, and veered back onto the main course, everyone now a ways behind me. Racing was becoming too easy for me; we really needed a new course sooner than later.