Chapter 41

Payton Lovell ^

---------

-Ava's P.O.V.-

On Friday I skipped the first half of school to make sure Melissa was okay

On Friday I skipped the first half of school to make sure Melissa was okay. Early this morning she had released a statement on behalf of the L.A. Journal's staff about the passing of Robert Devonshire. My sister was hardly speaking. She sat criss-cross on the couch, staring off into space. The TV was on, but I doubted she was watching. I decided i'd make her breakfast because I knew she wouldn't do it for herself.

"I'm not hungry" she mumbled, staring down at the plate of eggs and toast I was trying to hand her.

"I don't care, you need food"

"I will eat later"

"You will eat now." I sat the plate of food on the couch next to her then fetched her a napkin. When I returned she was picking at the scrambled eggs.

Sighing, I sat down on the carpet. I knew how Melissa was feeling. Horrified. Confused. Maybe even in denial of what she saw.

"I can't get his face out of my mind" I heard her whisper. "It's burned into my brain, Ava. He looked so... so..." she paused, a tear escaping from her eye. "I just can't believe he's gone. He wasn't just my boss you know. He was like a father to me."

All I could do was nod and hold her hand. I reassured her that I was there for her, because that's all I could do. Seeing the dead body of someone you care about has got to be at the top of the worst experiences ever list. There was nothing I could do to make Melissa feel better after experiencing something so horrible. Time was the only thing that could help.

There was a knock at the door that made both Melissa and I jump. "Who-?"

She shrugged, so I slowly made my way over to the door. I peered through the peep hole, feeling relieved. I opened the door so that Steve could come inside.

"How is she?" he murmured, glancing her way.

"Wrecked" I sighed.

"I figured as much" he replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "Did she eat?"

"In the process"

"I'll make sure she does" he said confidently, heading over to her. He plopped down on the couch next to her, scooping her into a hug. I let them be for a while so I could shower and pack up for school. I threw on my comfy tracksuit then ran to the kitchen to pack a lunch.

Around 12 Mr. Lynch showed up to my house to drive me to school. Before I left I hugged Melissa, reminding her to eat and get dressed. Steve walked me to the door, asking me to tell Payton he wouldn't be able to hang out with her later, for he was going to stay with Melissa for the remainder of the day.

"Why don't you text her?" I muttered, sliding on my converse.

"She lost her phone. We were supposed to get her a new one after school, but she'll have to go alone."