Chapter 7

Zane ^^

-----------

-Ava's P.O.V-

Daphne had ever so rudely dragged me away from my friends to meet hers, which I didn't appreciate. I kept glancing back to my table, where Rylee and Lucas sat watching me, looking uneasy. The more people Daphne introduced me to, the more uncomfortable I became. I just wanted go back to my friends. I didn't care about the football boys, or the cheerleaders. They way they eyed me... they were judging my every move, trying to figure out if I fit into their group or not.

At one point, Daphne had struck up a conversation with a husky hispanic boy, who kept glancing over her shoulder at me. I slowly backed up, ready to make a beeline back to my table, but I felt her grab me again. I was yanked in front of Payton, who was clinging to a guy I didn't recognize. I sized the guy up; he was pretty tall, maybe 6'1 or 6'2, and even with a shirt on, I could tell he was extremely fit. His black-tee clung to every part of him: his abs, his broad shoulders, his biceps. I was trying my best not to stare too much.

God what is in the water in LA? Why is everyone so hot?

I noticed that Payton had stepped in front of him, and she was shooting me a "back off" glare. I rolled my eyes, debating on telling her to piss off. There was no need to be so territorial I didn't even know the guy. I quickly looked away from her, finding something else to settle on.

I found his eyes.

This boy had the most beautiful blue eyes i'd ever seen. They were like dark sapphires, almost unreal looking, like maybe they were colored contacts. He had a handsome face. He had thick but neat eyebrows, a strong jaw, and prominent cheekbones. He was slightly tan, and his messy, jet-black hair looked almost blue from the way the sun hit it. I quickly realized that he was staring back at me, and my pulse started to race. I couldn't seem to break eye contact. Holy shit this guy is gorgeous...

Daphne cleared her throat, "Jaxon, i'd like you to meet Ava."

Neither Jaxon or I said anything. I felt like I was in a trance. I couldn't move my gaze away from his, and I couldn't turn my body away. I forced my lips to part, ready to say hi, but then I heard HIM.

"Well if it isn't our little water bender."

Zane.

Hearing Zane's voice snapped me out of my trance. I turned my head, watching him saunter towards me, with Faye following close behind. I balled up my fists, staring him down, daring him to come closer. He did of course, stupid dumbass.

"You know sweetheart, I really didn't appreciate that unnecessary shower earlier" he said, nonchalantly. Daphne moved next to me, her eyes filled with curiosity. "What's going on?" she asked. Faye, now standing right in front of Daphne, took her turn to speak. "This little bitch assaulted Zane earlier. If I were you, i'd get to know her a little better before you decide to make her your new best friend."

Did she just say I "assaulted" Zane?

I couldn't believe these people. All I wanted to do was go back to my table and finish my lunch with my friends. This was EXACTLY the type of drama I didn't need in my life.

Taking a deep breath, I stomped past Faye, and right up to Zane. I stood on my toes, trying to meet him at eye level, but I was still embarrassingly shorter. He smirked, raising an eyebrow. "I'll take an 'i'm sorry' kiss if that's what you're trying to do here."

I looked him dead in eyes, trying to come across confident.

"I dumped water on your head, not acid, so what the hell does she mean I assaulted you? I didn't realize WATER was so damn dangerous. Not to mention you deserved it after the way you talked to me this morning. And the gawking at my cleavage didn't go unnoticed either, buddy. You should be the one apologizing to me for being a dick."

Someone shoved their arm between us, forcing me to back up. Gray was standing there, glaring at us. "Chill out you two, you're going to attract teachers over here."

Zane started to chuckle, "Please, i'm the vice principle's son, I don't give a fuck what the teachers see." He swatted Gray's arm away. I took a step back, but his hand shot out, grabbing me by my shirt. He pulled me in; our noses almost touching.

"Just so you know princess, no one talks to me like that and gets away with it." I squirmed, trying to pull away, but he had an iron grip on my shirt. I glanced to my right, only to see Faye and Payton next to each other, snickering.

Fuck this.

In one swift movement, I brought my knee up as hard as I could, hitting him where it hurts. He winced, causing his grip to loosen so I was able to pull away. "You asshole" I sneered. He recovered quicker than I'd hoped, reaching towards me. In a split second, a body moved in front of me.

The next thing I knew, Zane's arm was twisted behind his back, and he was yelping in pain. "That's enough" Jaxon growled. He shot me a look, his eyes looking darker than before. "This petty bullshit is done." Zane groaned, his face contorted from pain.

I took the opportunity to make my getaway. Daphne called out to me, but I didn't look back. I fast-walked, straight past my friends, and into the school. What the hell was that?? Zane was a goddamn menace. And I didn't need that Jaxon guy to step in. I was handling the situation fine on my own...

...kind of.

I went to fourth period and sat down. Taking deep breaths, I tried to slow my racing heartbeat. The bell rang a few minutes later, ending lunch. People began to file into the classroom, including the row of Zane's friends who sat behind me. I was sure they had all seen that little lunch fiasco, but they didn't say anything to me. However, once again, I could feel their eyes boring into my back.

Gray arrived last, taking his seat next to me. At first he was quiet, but then he turned towards me and asked, "You alright?" I was sort of shocked, because I thought he would be pissed at me for talking to his friend the way I did. I nodded, avoiding eye contact.

I was dreading fifth period, knowing Zane was in my class. And so was Daphne, who I had refused to turn around to talk to. Also Jaxon. My hero, I thought sarcastically.

It wasn't much different here than back home. People used to mess with me at my school back in Detroit. They would push me around, talk down to me. Girls would make fun of the way I looked, guys would objectify me, and it wasn't any better at home with my mom and step father. The only thing that was different, was that I had my older brother Nathan around to protect me, but now....

*BBBRRRIIIINNNGG*

Fourth period ended so I scurried out of the class and right to fifth. I impatiently waited for Lucas, and I was relived when he entered Honors English before Zane. He sat down next to me, looking concerned.

"Ava" he said slowly "Are you okay? I can't believe he was in your face like that"

"I was in his face too, so it's not like I could ask a teacher to help." Lucas fell silent, looking at me with sad eyes "I just want this to be a good transition for you Ava; it's hard to start a new school, and it's even worse when jackasses like him are bothering you like that." I nodded, but didn't respond. I felt pitied, and I didn't want it. I wanted to come across strong. I was fine. I could handle my own problems. I wasn't going to let some bonehead make me dread school.

The good news was, Zane didn't even look at me when he came in. Gray was behind him, mumbling something that I couldn't hear. Zane was just nodding with irritation all over his face. The last two people to walk in were Daphne and-

"Jaxon's a babe, isn't he?" Lucas whispered with wide eyes. Daphne sat in front of me again, turning to look at me "Are you alright, Ava? I'm so sorry about Zane, he's such a jerk." I snorted in agreement, searching the room for Jaxon. He was two seats to my left. He met my eyes and I immediately looked away.

The only way this day could get worse, is if I bombed cheer tryouts and made a fool of myself in front of the other cheerleaders.