Chapter 63

-Ava's POV-

At some point I had completely blacked out, but when the ringing in my ears from the gunshots finally dissipated I was able to poke my head up from behind the couch where Melissa and I were hiding. 

I met Jaxon's glazed over stare as he crumpled to the floor.

This can't be happening.

A scream erupted from me, my vision blurring as tears spilled onto my cheeks. My heart was beating itself against my chest.  Somehow without realizing I had moved, I found myself on the floor next to him.

"JAXON!!" I shrieked, grabbing his face with my shaky hands.

"Jaxon look at me, don't close your eyes" I sobbed, my tears dripping down onto his face.

"Ava-" he breathed, his face twisted in pain.

I took a shaky breath before pulling his shirt up. The sight of the blood instantly made me woozy and lightheaded. I placed my hands on the wound, putting as much pressure as I could muster on it. Blood oozed onto my hands, and it took everything in me to hold down my dinner, "You're going to be okay, I will help you, just don't move-"

"Uncle, we have to call a medic" I heard Frank say behind me. "He's going to bleed to death-"

"A fitting punishment" the boss interjected. "It's his own fault"

"He doesn't deserve to die!" Frank snapped. I glanced behind me, watching Frank walk off into another room, a phone to his ear.

There is gang medic? God, I hope they get here quickly...

While I was putting pressure on Jaxon's wound I become very aware that there was snickering behind me. I refused to look, I knew it was Jaxon's boss. Was he going to have me killed too? Or my sister? I didn't know if my sister was still hiding or not, and I wanted to go back to her, but I did not want to leave Jaxon.

Suddenly I felt meaty hands grab me, lifting me up. I was kicking and screaming, throwing my head back to try and head-butt whoever was yanking me away.

"LET HER GO!" Melissa screamed, popping up from behind the couch. She dashed towards me, grabbing my arms. "I SAID LET GO OF HER!" She yanked and tugged, I felt like a rag doll, but she wasn't strong enough.

I was dragged into another room where the boss's bodyguard set me down on a chair. I was in a kitchen, and Frank had just ended a call. The bodyguard told Frank to watch me before lumbering back into the living room. 

More tears threatened to pour from my eyes as I looked to Frank. He met my gaze, but only for a split second before he cleared his throat, letting his eyes fall to the ground.

"Our medic is on the way" he grumbled.

"Frank, we can't let him die" I reached out, grabbing his wrist and he looked up in shock.

"I don't know what's going to happen" I whispered, "but you have to get us out of here. Please Frank, you're the only hope we have. Jaxon is hurt, and Jet looked helpless in there." 

He was staring down at me, his lips pulled into a thin line. I held his emotionless gaze, the tears finally escaping my eyes. "Frank please, I cannot lose anyone else."

"Ava" he said, pulling his wrist away. "I-"

Another gunshot.

Following, a loud, horrifying scream.

"MELISSA!!" I bellowed, frantically dashing back into the living room behind Frank. Melissa was in the corner of the room shaking. A body lay on the floor in front of her, blood pooling around him.