Chapter 27

-Jaxon's P.O.V-

It was Saturday October 6th, exactly two weeks after Payton's birthday. I woke up at 5 am and was unable to fall back asleep. Normally I am not one to reflect, but lately that is all I could seem to do. I have been completely stuck in my head ever since Ava and I fought at Oblivion.

I know I was a huge dick to her that night. I did not mean to treat her as harshly as I did, but at the end of the day, it got her to avoid me the past two weeks. She still came to work obviously, but I hardly saw her. When I did, she wouldn't look at me, let alone speak to me. At school, it wasn't as easy to avoid each other. We had fifth period together, and we always saw each other at lunch. Even then she still managed to avoid contact with me. I sound like i'm complaining about it, but this is exactly what needed to happen in order to keep her safe. Her life will be ten times better without me in it.

So why did I miss her so much...

Finally around 9 am I decided to get my ass out of bed and go downstairs. RJ had coffee waiting for me, so I gulped it down then went back to my room to take a hot shower. When I was done I ran gel through my hair, then threw on black jeans and an emerald-colored T-shirt under my leather jacket. I stuffed my bandana into my back pocket then made my way downstairs. As I was typing out a text to Gray I was stopped by a hand on my shoulder.

"Where do you think you're going?" Esther said, raising her eyebrow.

"Out with Gray. I'll see you later"

"Oh no you don't. Follow me please."

I groaned, following her into the living room. I slumped down in the bay window seat, glancing at my phone for Gray's response.

"Soooo" Esther sung, sitting down across from me "I have a couple of things to discuss with you"

"Can you make it quick, i'm meeting Gray soon"

"Gray can wait" she snapped "Honestly, I thought I raised you to have some patience."

We stared at each other for awhile. Sighing, I leaned back against the window. Esther is pretty much the only adult in my life that I respect, so I might as well listen to her before she decides to whoop my ass.

"So my dear, i've been noticing some tension between you and Ava-"

"Esther please don't go there" I groaned "Damn, it's really none of your business."

Big mistake. Esther jumped up like lighting, swinging her boney fist into the back of my head.

"Ow! What the-?"

"It is 100% my business! How dare you! Who takes care of you? Who wants the best for you? ME! You seem unhappy, and it is my duty as your caretaker to find out why. And anyways, Ava is my employee, so if there is something going on between you two, I have a right to know!"

"We fought. That's it. We aren't speaking right now, and it's fine. It's not affecting her work at all; she's still showing up and doing a good job, so I don't get why you're so worried"

"I'm worried about you Jaxon" she sighed, her eyes growing sad "I really thought you two were getting along well. I thought she was helping you cope with your parents being home. She seemed like a good distraction, but all of a sudden you seem completely distraught again. Dear, I just want you to be happy."

She gave me a smile, but it looked sad. I tried to smile back, but I just wasn't in the mood. "I know, thank you for caring"

"I won't keep prying, but you know if you ever need to talk, you can come to me. On a better note, the second thing I wanted to tell you is that your parents have notified me of their next business trip."