Chapter 42

-Jaxon's POV-

At 8:00 am Saturday morning I sat in the sand at the beach, gazing into horizon. All I wanted to do was jump into the ocean and swim far, far away. Away from the Crimson Blaze and the Devonshire drama, away from my parents, away from anything that controlled my life.

Yesterday after school I sat in my basement with Gray watching the news that came out about Jet Blackwell being the owner of the bandana found at the scene of Patrick's suicide, and on top that, the owner of a cracked phone found in Robert's building lobby. Sounded legit; Jet always carried around an old burner phone for gang related calls only.

"Well, he's fucked" was all Gray said. I think we both knew deep down there was no way Jet wasn't somehow involved, which also meant that bastard Frank lied to me the other night when I asked him about Jet.

Fucking bastard, lying to my face like that.

Fast forward to now, I was a goddamn wreck. I tossed and turned all night because I couldn't sleep with the knot in my stomach.

"How did I know you'd be here? I must have a Jaxon sense."

Daphne plopped down in the sand next to me, pulling her knees to her chest. "Alright, let's hear it."

I peered at her out of the corner of my eye, raising an eyebrow "Hear what?"

"I saw the news, Jaxon. That crimson bandana with the golden flame, that's your gang's symbol is it not? Well apparently Jet fucking Blackwell left his at Patrick Devonshires house. When the hell were you going to tell me that Jet is in the Crimson Blaze?"

"I wasn't. That's his personal life, it's not for me to tell"

"Is there anyone else from our school?"

"Still not for me to tell" I grumbled. She rolled her eyes, saying "I think we're past personal information. Jet is all over the news, all over social media, there is nothing "personal" about this anymore. Don't you realize how serious this is? Jet was brought in for questioning about murdering someone-"

"YES DAPHNE, I REALIZE THAT!" I snapped, standing up. I walked into the water, letting the tide crash against my ankles. "It's fucked up. Everything is so fucked up."

I felt her small hand on my back, and she spoke in a hushed tone. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to aggravate you. I'm just shocked. I worry enough about you being involved in a gang, but then I find out another one of my friends is in it too? And now everyone thinks that he killed somebody...it's too much."

There was nothing I could say. It was too much.

"Why can't you just leave" she whispered, wrapping her arms around my torso, her forehead hitting my back. "I'm scared for you. I'm scared for Jet. Why is this happening?"

This is exactly why I never wanted Daphne to find out about my gang. I don't want her to be scared. She shouldn't have to know about any of this. Neither should Gray.

"I can't just leave" I told her. "And neither can Jet. No one can or there is a price to pay. Once you're in, it's almost impossible to leave."

We stood in the water for a while, completely silent, Daphne hugging me from behind while I watched boats jet on the horizon. Oddly enough, it was the most relaxed I had felt in at least 24 hours. Daphne could be loud and annoying, but she could also be calm and caring.

"It's going to be okay" she murmered. "You will be okay, and so will Jet"

"You don't know that"

"You're right, I don't. It's called hope"