•Chapter XXVIII•

Ho.
Ly.
CRAP.
I'm, SO sorry about the wait. I've recently just been feeling so burnt out about writing in general, and it feels like I've been using school work as an excuse to not write. But, after coming back to Wattpad and reading all these new wonderful positive comments about this story, I feel so much more energetic about this. (I suggest reading a few previous chapters if you've forgetter what happened last)
I present to you, chapter 29.
════ ⋆★⋆ ════
...

It was dark.

Very- VERY dark.

As soon as he hit that wall, Lumine was out cold. For him, nothing remained except for an endless, black void.

Of course, it wasn't like that forever, though.

The moment he was awake- the moment he could force his eyelids opened... Even the teeniest amount of light was so overwhelming it burned. There was a loud, irritating ring which through his eardrums. He clenched his eyes and put his hands up over his ears, the ringing into wouldn't stop. Slowly, he could feel all the blows he had received before his comatose. Tears welled, the pain caused him to shake.

Lumine's eyes still closed, he could hear the sound of distant, hurried footsteps- many of them. Through the ringing, he could hear a door slam open and feel warm hands on his shoulder. As soon as he felt the presence of another person, the ringing started to fade.

He felt the person move, slowly and gently. "It's okay, baby. I'm gonna need you to relax, alright?" It was a woman. Lumine didn't want to move his head yes or no, so instead he stayed silent, letting the woman move him in whatever position.

She leaned him back with care. The feeling of the cool, soft pillow felt luxurious to him at that moment. Right after that, the pain started again. He winced audibly, causing the woman to react. "Huh? Oh..." Lumine heard the woman shuffle away from him, then quickly shuffle back. "This might hurt a little, honey... But I promise you, it's for the best." Not too soon after, Lumine felt something penetration his skin. It was cold and thin... A needle, likely. It hurt at first, but among all the other pain, it was nothing but a cup of water within the sea of hurt.

In seconds, the pain morphed into a numbness. Not completely- but now it was bearable to be conscious.

He heard the woman sigh. "Alright sugar, is there anything you want right now?" Lumine didn't yet have the energy to move again. "Well... How about some water? I'll get you some water, alright sweetie?" The woman said. Lumine mustered up all his energy to move his hand around the woman's arm, so she wouldn't run off.
"N..." Lumine tried to speak- but even making the tiniest noise required so much energy- which he didn't have. "... Stay..." Lumine's eyes were still closed, he had no idea where he was, and this woman sweetly comforting him was all that was keeping him from breaking down. He let go of her arm.

The woman stood still for a moment, before letting out a big sigh and sitting down at the foot of his bed. "Listen- I know you're probably very scared and confused right now, so do you want me to explain everything? Just stay silent if you want me to tell you."

The woman waited for a few seconds, yet Lumine didn't say a word.

"Well... Alright, then." She sighed loudly. "Oh- This is a hospital by the way. You've been here for about... Let's say... Two weeks?" The woman looks at Lumine, yet his neutral expression remained. "Might be closer to three, though? I'll have to check again..." She cleared her throat, thinking of what to say next.

"Ahem... You were found at the base of an illegal witch trading center. You were in a... Horrendous condition. You suffered from a concussion, there were many signs of blunt force against your body" She thought for a moment, "In all honesty, sweetpea... You should have been dead."

Lumine's expression then shifted slightly, yet he still wanted to hear more, "There was unbelievably strong magic used against you. For someone at your age, with your um... Physique." She eyes Lumine's delicate body, "You should have died as soon as you came in contact with that magic. It really is an absolutely miracle that you're alive."

Lumine was still. He wanted to know what this woman looked like. Using all of the strength which he could muster, he opened his eyes.

The woman before him was average height, if not a bit taller. She had tight, black curls which only went to her chin, and deep brown eyes. "Oh!" The woman started, "Good afternoon to you. I'm nurse Minerva- but if you want, you can just call me Miss Minnie."

Slowly, Lumine found the energy to talk again. "... Hi... Miss Minnie..." His voice was shaky and sad. He tried sitting up, but lacked the energy to do so.
"... The woman... Is she-"

"Oh, don't worry a bit about it, dear." Minnie cut Lumine off. "Sherry's just fine, she just needs a bit of time to recover." She looked back at Lumine, who appeared dissatisfied.

Lumine shook his head slightly, "... No... The... The other one..." His voice was even shakier than before.

The room went eerily quiet. The silence was deafening.

... Until it was interrupted. "... Oh." Minnie said, with regret in her voice. She immediately tried peeking up again. "Don't worry about it, honey, she won't be bothering you anymore!"

Lumine was displeased with this answer. "... Please... Tell me..." He looked up at the nurse with tired, pleading eyes.

Minnie looked away for a moment, before letting out a huge sigh.

"... She's dead." Minnie said sadly.

As soon as he heard this, he turned away from Minnie, staring at the wall. "Honey, I'm so sorry that-" Minnie was cut off.

"Please go." Lumine asked. Minnie was startled that the fragile boy was suddenly able to speak without much effort.

Minnie was hesitant to say anything more. The room had suddenly become much colder.

After a moment, the nurse sighed and walked towards the door, her shoes creating a tapping noise as she did. She opened the door and stepped outside. She slowly pulled the door into its frame, before looking up at the pitiful, white haired boy in the bed, who had just been informed that his mother- his last remaining parent- was dead. Killed by his own hands.

"I'm sorry." said Minnie.

She shut the door behind her.
════ ⋆★⋆ ════
next chapter will be posted in 2025 sorry legends 🙏🙌🙌

Stalk me on my social medias!
Lumine Amino: 💫MidnightEclipsed💫
Instagram: @i.have.found.the.avocados
Twitter: @ihastheavocados

(is it too obvious that i stan billie now)