The earth at risk

The sun was at its peak and brightest, the weather was clear and the car was packed. David and his family were going to the beach. David had been away for a very long time and now that he was back, his dad, mom and sister wanted to catch up with the lost time.

"Guys... Hurry up" Ashley said as she put the picnic basket in the car and closed the boot. "Incoming..." David said as he came running out of the house. "Everything's set" Ashley said. "David, could you ask your dad to hurry up?"

"Ok mom" and in less than no time, David was in the house. "Dad? Dad? Where are you dad?" David wondered as walked through the house. He heard some noise from his dad's office and so he went to check what was going on. He then heard his dad talking on the phone "Ok sir, I'll do as you've asked. See you later sir".

"Who was it dad?" David asked.

"Hugh..." Jacob turned around. "It's you David. You scared me"

"Mom asked me to get you"

"Ok, I'll be with you in a moment".

Jacob worked at 'NEWTECH', a company that specialized in the production of hi-tech weapons and sold them to the military. He was in charge of the heavy machinery division and whenever he got so nervous after a call from the General Manager, it was often because of some dangerous discovery or a heavy war machinery deal with a nongovernmental body.

"Dad... Is everything alright?"

"Yeah! It was just Rick on the phone. You know... business as usual". David could sense that his father was not telling him everything but he did not want to get into his dad's mind since it was impolite to read other people's minds without their consent.

"Ok dad, please just don't take too long" David said as he walked out of the office. In less than no time, they were on their way to the beach.

While David and his family were having fun at the beach, there was an ongoing operation by the IDPU to arrest one of Magnus' officials who was supposedly on a vacation on planet VR23 of system Vera in galaxy Derton. The skies were filled with enemy ships and the ground with enemy units and vehicles. The planetary defenses seemed impenetrable. Captain Joshua's strategy was to infiltrate the base with units disguised as destroyers. The agents were to leave the patrol with the other destroyers during the shift. The agents were then to make their way to the Official's room, where he was to be knocked out silently but not killed. The planetary defense were then to be shut down by the agents who were then to send a signal to the IDPU's standing army who in turn were to attack the base and capture it taking the prisoner in for questioning. The plan was then put in to action as 12 agents infiltrated the enemy lines without being detected. Everything went as planned except for the part where the agents were to knock out the official. He was not in the room. Instead, there were destroyers waiting for the agents with armed weapons. The agents were immediately executed by the destroyers. When Captain Joshua found out about it, he was really furious. He wondered how the plan leaked. Was there a traitor on the inside? However, the strategy was only known by the 12 agents who were killed, General Kiash, the board of the 5 advisors and himself. He did not know what to think anymore so he asked for David to be called.

David was driving the car at the moment so he did not pay attention. When they got home, David checked the message he had received and immediately set out for Ming (IDPU's HQ). David arrived at Ming when some officials were walking out of Captain Joshua's office. David walked in and saw the captain sited with his head on the desk. "You look awful sir! The stress' getting to you."

"Is it so obvious?"

"Yeah! I'd say too obvious" David said as he got himself sited opposite the captain's desk. Captain Joshua let a huge breath as he said "You're the one who should be going through all this. You are the guardian... It's your job"