The Prophecy

(Valhalla, about 500,000 years ago)

12 years old Loter was playing in the field with Wihs and Mira while his parents herded the cattle into pen. It was getting late when Loter's parents called him and his brother Wihs into the house. Like every day, the brothers said bye to Mira as they ran back home. Loter didn't exactly have a happy family as he would have wanted. His father, Cromis, was a tavern owner who worked for the King's Secret Eye in his community. He had to listen to what people said and watch out for what people did so he could report it to the organization. His mother, Margret, was a strong supporter of the rebellion in the east of the country. This often caused a lot of fighting between his parents. His elder sister, Marvil, was a social misfit who always caused trouble in town. It was always up to his elder brother, Lonius, to make it up to the townsfolk for her. As much as it had to be done, he hated having to be the one doing it. Conflicts after conflicts arose either between his parents or his older siblings. If it weren't for Wihs, he would have been very lonely. Wihs was his younger twin brother and they shared a lot of things in common. They had the same likes and dislikes. They even had a crush on the same girl. Even if they both wanted to be with Mira, they never let it come in between them. They even promised each other that whoever she chooses, the other will be fine with it and they'd continue to be friends till the ends of times.

Things began to deteriorate for them when Lonius left to join the army. He had always helped Margret with the cattle rearing but now she was left with the two little kids who were not strong enough to do the things Lonius used to do and Marvil who wasn't interested in cattle rearing and had a very rebellious nature. Marvil continued with her mischief and with no Lonius to help calm the angry villagers, her parents were put in a hot spot. One day when Marvil got home late, she met her mother waiting for her in the sitting room.

Margret: "Where are you from?"

Marvil: "A friends place"

Margret: "Is it that boy again?"

Marvil: "So what if it is?"

Margret: "Marvil, I've told you a million times. That boy's bad news for you"

Marvil: "That's for me to decide mom"

Margret: "Wrong! I'm your mother; it's my responsibility to make sure you're safe. I don't where you got this rebellious attitude of yours"

Marvil: "The fruit never falls far from the tree"

Margret: "What do you mean by that? Young lady you are grounded and are not to leave this house for a month. That should keep you away from that rascal. And if you even dare to leave, don't bother coming back" Margret yelled as she walked away in a fury. Loter who had been awoken by the noise walked into the sitting room where he met Marvil"

Loter: "Why's mom so mad?"

Marvil: "Hey, did we wake you up. It's nothing ok, now go back to sleep"

Loter: "Were you fighting again? Why can't you all just get along?"

Marvil: "There are times when these little fights can't be avoided. You'll understand when you grow up" she said as she gave him a tight hug and walked to her room. Loter noticed something strange about her behavior but didn't want to bother her with more questions. He went back to his room upstairs where he saw Wihs looking at the dark sky through the window.

Wihs: "When would we finally have a happy family?"

Loter looked at the sad expression on Wihs' face and knew that they both were sick of that unhappy family. But the truth had to be spoken and as Loter walked back towards the bed he said, "Never". Both kids went to bed but not long after that, they heard noise outside. When they checked, they saw Marvil jump out through her window and run off towards the forest. Loter decided to follow her and see where she was headed to and so climbed out the window. Wihs followed him and they both ran after Marvil. They stopped when they saw Marvil stop by her friend. They talked for a while and they then got their bags and ran off deeper into the forest. Loter and Wihs, tried to keep up but they ended up losing sight of them. To top it all, they forgot their way home and got lost. Loter was able to make a fire as it had gotten dark and they got to stay warm as they slept. The next morning, they continued their search for home not realizing that they were moving further away from their goal.