Chapter 35: Does it look like I give a fuck?

"There's no way in hell!" Jake shouted into the phone.
Sitting up in bed with Brynn in my arms, I looked in his direction.
What got him so riled up?
Hanging up, he turned to me, "I'm sorry about that baby."
"What's wrong Jake?" I asked him.
He sighed, sitting down beside me, "baby...."
"Who was it Jake? No secrets, remember," tears were falling from my eyes.
Instinctively, he wrapped his arms around me, "baby. It was an old friend of mine."
"A girl?"
Don't think I don't trust him because that's not true. I just love him too much that I think he's going to get tired of me one day. Face it, I'm broken.
"No. It was a guy, and even if it was a girl, I would NEVER cheat on you baby. You're mine and I'm yours, never forget that."
Wiping my tears with one hand, I smiled, "I'm sorry Jake. What did your friend want?"
He played with strand of my hair around his finger, "he invited us to a pool party in Westchester. Brynn, you, and I."
Confusion filled my features, "why didn't you want to go?"
"I'm not bringing you anywhere near that asshole, and that's a promise. I have a baby to raise so if I can't bring you, then I'm not going."
I loved the fact that he doesn't want me around those people, but this a good friend of his.
"What did he do anyway?" I was curious to know what terrible thing he did for Jake to hate him.
He sighed, "he treats girls like absolute shit, always have and always will. He shamelessly flirts with them and then sleeps with them. There's no way in hell I'm letting you or Brynn anywhere near that."
A smile crossed my lips, "Jake, I love you so damn much but I can take care of myself."
"I don't want to take a chance that you won't be able to. I know Chris, baby, and he doesn't play games when he wants something. If he touches you-"
I placed my hand on his, "hey..... he won't because I won't let him."
His eyes softened, "but if he does, I won't be able to restrain myself. Everything on your body is mine. If he lays one hand on anything that's mine, I'll break every bone in his body."
I looked him dead in his brown eyes, "do you trust me Jake?"
"With everything I have," he smiled.
"..... then you need to go to friend's party, and if Brynn and I do go, I know you'll be there to protect me."
He nodded, "okay we'll go but if he so much lays a hand on you or my kid, he's dead."
I trusted Jake to be rational, and to make the right decision if he does touch me.
*********
On our way to Westchester, we picked up some Dairy Queen for lunch. I was currently finishing up my fries when Jake said something.
"Baby, promise me not to get too comfortable with them."
I arched an eyebrow, turning down the radio, "so I can't make friends?"
"I didn't say that.... I just don't want you to get pulled in with their bullshit."
Staring at him, I replied, "and that'll be my mistake."
He was silent for a couple of minutes, before he replied, "I know you want to get along with my friends, but they're just not the kind of people you want to make friends with."
"What, are they in a gang?" I laughed lightly.
"No. They're not."
I was getting extremely frustrated, "then what did he do Jake?!"
"His father is a human trafficker okay? It's a family business for them."
My heart was racing at ninety miles per hour, "what?"
"They were paid to have sex with people, baby. They didn't give two shits about who those people were. If they were willing to spread their legs, then they would gladly take them."
Tears filled my eyes, "Jake...."
He immediately intertwined our fingers, placing them on my thigh, "they won't touch you baby."
How could he be so sure? They were human traffickers.
Pulling into a circular driveway, Jake parked the car.
I opened my door, getting Brynn out of the carseat.
Jake wrapped his arm around my shoulders, leading me inside the house.
"Stay by me baby," he whispered, kissing my cheek gently.
I nodded.
A guy that looked about 20 walked over to us with a grin, "Kingston. It was wonderful of you to come, and I see you brought your fiancee and baby."
He smiled down at Brynn, "I have one of my own."
"You do?!"
He chuckled softly, "of course. Mia, can you come here for a second?"
A blonde girl nodded, bringing a baby with her, "what is it babe?"
Her hair fell down in her back in waves, she smiled brightly.
"I want my friend Jake to meet our sons, meet Carter Reece Knight and Asher Caden Knight," he gestured to what to looked like an eighteen month old and a five month old.
Jake frowned, a slight glare on his face, "you cannot expect me to believe you've settled down and have done one good thing in your lifetime, Chris?"
Jake...... you're being irrational.
"Jake look, I'm not my father. I'm not involved in that shit that he was. I want a family with my wife and two children, like you. You've always been my role model Jake. I want you to know, I respect women just like I do my wife. I will NEVER force her into anything she doesn't want to."
He seemed honest, I don't know what Jake's problem with him is. Maybe Brynn and his children will be friends when they're older, maybe even more.
If I judged someone just because of rumors, I would have never got engaged, had a baby, and fallen in love with the love of my damn life.
I wouldn't change that for the world.