☼ ₂₃

« Curfews at midnight, we watched the sun rise. »

ROWAN P.O.V.

"Here I'll tell you what happened buddy." I started, with hatred in my voice.

"What happened is that you fucked up, that's what happened!" I exclaimed, pouring my milk all over him.

I got up and walked away angrily.

How is it possible that even after someone destroys you, they still have your whole heart and soul?

How is it possible that even after trying to make myself forget, my mind still wanders to him?

How is it possible that someone can have so much power over me?

How is it possible that I care for someone else more than I care for myself?

The answer to all those questions is unknown and is yet to be figured out.

After storming off on the boys, I secluded myself in the library. The boys would never go to the library to look for me, it was the place I hated the most.

To be fair, I've never actually spent a lot of time in a library before. Just the thought of having boring books everywhere around me was enough to make me hate the place.

I walked around a little and explored. It was my first time looking at the stuff in here. I walked down the library, running my finger on all the book spines along the way.

It wasn't so bad. All the books had their own story, their own plot, their own lives, and their own galaxy.

The princesses and princes became company to the lonely. They set up expectations for real life. They became a new home, a secret place. A hideaway.

I picked one up and read the title.

To kill a mockingbird.

This looked interesting.

There was a layer of dust on it, signaling that it hadn't been read in a while.

I was probably going to be staying here for a while, so might as well find a way to pass the time.

I grabbed it and went to sit down at a random table at the back of the library.

I cracked open the book, and a small cloud of dust escaped, making me cough a little bit.

After a few seconds, I settled down and began reading.

I read the first sentence. And then the first page, and then I read the first chapter, which led me to read almost half of the book.

I had completely lost notion of time. I was engrossed in this book, and I didn't care about the problems I had right now, because all I could think of was this book and what would happen next.

I was never the reading type, and this is the first time I've ever actually read a book and enjoyed it.

The minutes ticked by, and minutes turned into hours.