twenty eight ♡

I'm sipping on my coffee, being careful not to smudge my lip gloss when Alice walks into the kitchen, talking on the phone to someone. She hangs up as she starts making herself a cup of coffee.

"Is everything okay?" I ask her.

"The Black Hood struck again last night." She says with her back to me. "So I'm going to be working a lot again. The Black Hood killings have been stressful for everyone, but it's great for the Register."

My eyebrows furrow as I finish my coffee, "What? Who was killed this time?"

"The Sugarman." She says, making my jaw slack.

"Wasn't he arrested?" I ask.

How would he have been killed in a jail cell?

"The Black Hood broke in last night and shot him." She replies, stirring her coffee.

"Oh my god." I mumble quietly.

The sound of Betty coming down the stairs turns our attention towards her. She turns towards the kitchen, slightly happier than she had been lately. She had told Jughead everything last night, and they had gotten back together.

"What's going on?" Betty asks as she walks into the kitchen.

"The Sugarman was killed last night." I tell her. "By the Black Hood."

Her face falls, a guilty expression replacing her happy one.

"I'll see you guys when you get back home from school." Alice says, pouring her coffee into a flask. "Behave."

"We always do." I say as she picks her flask up, along with her keys and handbag.

I wait for her to leave before turning to Betty.

"Betts, this isn't your fault, okay?" I assure her. "You did what you thought was best."

"If I hadn't told anyone his name then-"

"Then he might have gone after someone else." I cut her off. "If this guy was that adamant on killing the Sugarman then he probably would have found him himself eventually."

Betty manages to give me a small smile, "Yeah, I know. Are you ready for school?"

"Yep." I reply, grabbing my handbag off of the counter. "Let's go."

I follow Betty out of the front door, walking ahead of her as she closes the door. As I'm walking down the steps, I spot Cheryl's impala parked outside the house.

"Cheryl?" I ask.

"Via!" She beams from the drivers seat. "I'm here to give you a ride to school."

As I walk down the steps to her car, she looks behind me.

"I'm guessing that means I have to take Nancy Drew too." She rolls her eyes.

"Yep." I reply, climbing in to the passenger seat. "Come on, Betts."

"What's Cheryl doing here?" She asks as she comes down the steps.

"She's giving us a lift." I say. "Now hurry before we're late."

Betty hurries down the steps and towards the car, climbing in the backseat. Cheryl doesn't even wait for her to do her seat belt up before driving off.

"The Sugarman died." Cheryl says out of nowhere.

"Yep." I mumble awkwardly.

"Which means that the football team have other things to worry about." She hints.

I shake my head, leaning my head against the window. "Hopefully. But if they try to get payback, then we can always take it a step farther." I joke.