seventy three ♡

Betty gives my hand a supportive squeeze while I stare at the tall building in front of us. The towering building is strangely daunting. Or maybe I'm just a wimp. Busy people clad in work-wear hurry past us, in and out of the building, while I stand here next to my cousin, biting my lip anxiously.

"The sooner we go in, the sooner this is over with." Betty says, stepping forward, turning around to face me. "But, you don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"No, it's fine." I take a deep breath. "Grandma's waiting for me. It's just a will reading."

Betty and I walk through the glass doors. I look around the lobby as we walk up to the desk, studying my surroundings. Pretty much everything in here is white, and looks like it would cost a fortune to replace. I'm glad I decided to wear my tweed blazer and skirt now. And Betty said I might be over-dressed. If anything, I feel under-dressed.

I clear my throat to get the posh looking receptionists attention, but the middle-aged brunette woman is busy typing away on her computer.

"Excuse me." I speak, and this time she does look up. "I'm here for a will reading with Attorney Lenney."

"The Fawn family?" She asks. I'm guessing Grandma must already be here. I nod. "Seventh floor, room four."

"Thank you." I give her a thankful smile, before Betty and I walk away. "What room did she say again?" I ask Betty while we wait for the elevator.

"Uh, four? I think?"

The elevator dings, the doors opening in front of us. Two suited men step out as we step in. I feel so out of place. I haven't seen so many people so dressed up since boarding school.

"Are you okay?" Betty asks as I click the button for the seventh floor and the elevator doors close.

"I'm fine." I assume her, holding on to her arm. "Elevators make me want to puke though. I feel like I'm about to fall through the floor."

"You're so dramatic." Betty laughs. "Relax."

"If it was that easy, I would."

"So, what do you think he's left for you?" My cousin asks curiously.

"Nothing, probably." I shrug, watching the numbers go up on the small screen above the doors. "I'll be surprised if he even left me a mouldy sock."

"Your dad loved you, Olivia. You know he did. I mean, come on. How much was your allowance? And how much do you think the diamond necklace that you're wearing right now costs?"

"I know he had money, but that doesn't mean he chose to leave any of it for me, Betts. He's probably left all of it for my mother."

"Where even is she? I thought she would have at least came to the funeral." Betty comments. "When was the last time you saw her? Back in England?"

"Nope. She lives in Riverdale now. Back to her Southside roots." I admit. It's not like Betty knows that she goes by a different name now, anyway. "She doesn't speak to me and I don't speak to her."

"So, why wasn't she at the funeral?"

"She probably doesn't even know that he's dead. Alice said she wouldn't publish the memoriam for him until after the funeral for a reason." I reply as we finally reach the seventh floor and the elevator doors open.

"Which is...?"

"She's a bitch." I step out of the elevator. Betty follows closely behind me as I walk down the wide corridor.

"Thank God you made me dress up, too." Betty comments, catching up to me. She links her arms through mine as I search for the right office. "I would be sticking out like a sore thumb."