fifty ♡

I sigh, wiping my watery eyes carefully, trying not to smudge my mascara. Thank God for waterproof makeup. I look like a total mess, but when don't I? The door squeaks and I panic, looking away from the mirror and down at the sink, turning the tap on, washing my hands with the scented soap.

"Did someone puke in here?" I turn around to see Katie walking in, her nose scrunched up in disgust.

"Oh, yeah. I think some girl just puked in there." I look away, down at my hands as I try to scrub away any remnant of puke that may be there. "I think there's a stomach bug going around."

"Oh." She joins me at the sinks, her hands covered in paint. I turn the tap on for her when she tries to turn it on using her elbow. "Thank you."

I smile at her, turning the hot tap off, switching to cold water, and splashing it in my face.

"Are you okay?" She asks, glancing at me through the corner of her eye.

"I'm fine." I turn the tap off, patting my face dry with a hand towel. "Just trying to wake myself up a little."

"It's one pm." She says.

"I woke up early." I shrug. "And... now I better leave for health class."

"Oh, okay! Have a good day!" She smiles.

I wave awkwardly, backing out of the girls bathroom. "Thanks! You too!"

I turn, letting the door close behind me as I slip through the crowded hallway to my locker. I look around, making sure no one is looking, before taking my diary out. Shoving it into my bag, I close my locker, heading straight to health class. I'm the first one here, thank God. I click the pen down, writing in the diary as neat as I can.

"What's that?" A voice asks from over my shoulder.

I let out a screech, slamming the diary closed.

"Sorry! Did I scare you?" Veronica asks.

I slide the diary under my butt. "Uh, yeah. I didn't hear you come in."

"What were you writing?" She sits next to me, sliding her handbag under the table, sitting next to me. "I saw numbers."

"Oh, just doing some math homework." I play with the hem of my dress under the table, avoiding eye contact with the Lodge.

"I completely forgot that we had math homework!" She groans. "And it's due tomorrow."

Wait. We actually have homework?

"Oh, I was doing an old one that I forgot to hand in." I make up an excuse. "What was the homework?"

"Oh, that's right! You were suspended."

"Betty brought my work home, though."

"Did you even do any of the work?"

"Look, there were things going on, I was busy." I roll my eyes.

"By busy, do you mean getting close to the Serpents?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Yes. They're my friends." I reply. "Surprisingly, they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. In fact, can you keep a secret?"

"It depends. But, for one of my favourite girls, yes."

"I may or may not have gotten a tiny matching tattoo with one of them." I peel back the plaster, showing her the tattoo.

"How long have you been hiding that?" She asks, inspecting the ink.

"Uh, a month? I think?"

"Oh my God." She finally lets go of my pinky. "Why don't we have matching tattoos?"