thirty four ♡

Cheryl and Josie are talking by Josie's locker when I arrive at school.

"That someone would do that, write those things to your mom? This town is seriously disturbed." I hear Cheryl say as I approach them from behind.

"Do what?" I ask, confused. "Is everything okay?"

"Someone has been sending Josie's mom death threats." Cheryl fills me in.

My mouth falls open in shock.

"Why would anyone do that? That's sick." I scrunch my face up in disgust.

"Tell me about it." Josie says, closing her locker.

We all walk down the hall together as Josie continues talking.

"My mom's the mayor. She's the strongest woman I know. And for these cowards to be terrorising her?" Josie says.

I shoot her a sympathetic look.

"Do you wanna bail on practice?" Cheryl asks her.

"Yeah, maybe that's for the best." I suggest. "You seem to have a lot going on right now."

"No, I need to sing." Josie says. "It'll keep my mind off last night."

"Speaking of." Cheryl says, stepping in front of her and slamming her hand down on a random locker.

I step back and raise an eyebrow. Jesus.

"I can't believe you went on a date with Chuck last night." Cheryl says to Josie.

"Ooh." I sing song. "Who's Chuck?"

"You know how I told you about that playbook?" Cheryl asks.

I nod, "Yeah?"

"Well he was one of the main creeps behind it." Cheryl informs me, emphasising the word 'creeps'. "He's a total pig."

She turns her attention back to Josie. "And a few art classes does not a saint make."

"And," Josie says. "He really is trying to be a better person." Josie informs us.

"Is that why you didn't tell Sheriff Keller he is low-key stalking you?" Cheryl asks.

"I'm sorry, what?" I ask, confused. I cannot keep up. "Stalking? What the hell have I missed?"

"Well, while you were MIA yesterday, Josie got a creepy secret admirers gift." Cheryl fills me in for the third time.

"I'm giving Chuck the benefit of the doubt." Josie says.

"Fine. It's your funeral." Cheryl comments.

"Have you not seen any tv shows or movies?" I ask Josie rhetorically. "Guys like that never change.

"Maybe." Josie says as we arrive outside of the music room. "But we have no evidence that it's him."

"We have no evidence that it isn't, either." I remind her as Cheryl opens the door letting us in.

The three of us spot the little box and rolled up paper at the same time.

"Here we go again." Cheryl says, annoyed. "I'll give Chuck that. He knows how to commit."

Josie, Cheryl and I walk up to the little box and rolled up paper curiously. I watch with my head tilted in confusion as Josie picks up the rolled up piece of paper and unties the purple organza ribbon tied around it. The paper unravels, revealing an impressive drawing of Josie with words scribbled on top.

'If I can't have you, no one can.' The words read.

"Oh my god." Cheryl says, disgusted.

"What the..." I trail off.