fifty one ♡

The mermaid style gown hugs my body as I stare into the mirror in Veronica's room. Part of me was hoping I somehow would have lost a lot of weight since I bought this dress when I was out with Toni. I mean, it's not like I've lost more than a pound this week, I've been on that scale every day.

"You look great!" Veronica says from behind me as she clips her signature pearls around her neck. "You look a lot healthier with a tan."

I ignore the feeling in the pit of my stomach, smiling at her. "Thanks, V. I don't look anywhere as great as you, though."

The raven haired girl looks gorgeous as always in her dark, plunging gown.

"Please, I wish I could look as good as you do." She says, laughing. "Your body is perfect. That dress makes you look so skinny."

"It's hardly perfect. But, thanks." I smile, trying my hardest to take the comment as a good thing, but, I know she's lying. "Is Betty meeting us there?"

"Yeah, she said something about helping her mom with baking. Something you were supposed to help with."

"I completely forgot." I lie. "Well, are we ready to go?"

"Yep! Just need to grab my clutch."

I already have mine in my hand, holding it against the handle of the crutch, so I quickly pick up my coat, buttoning it up over my dress. Thankfully, Veronica is quick, and before I can blink, we're out of the door, and in the limo on the way to winter formal.

"Thank you, Andre." Veronica calls as we climb out of the limo, and her driver closes the door behind us.

We giggle as we head into the school gymnasium together, Josie singing what I'm assuming is an original song on the stage. The bright, colour changing moving lights make me feel slightly dizzy as we look around for Betty.

"Well, if it isn't my favourite cousin and my best friend." Betty says from behind us.

"There you are!" I smile. "You look gorgeous." My phone vibrates in my clutch, and I ignore it, it's probably just another immature prank text anyway.

"You were supposed to help with the baking, but, since you decided to get ready at V's, I was dragged into it." She groans. "I just wanted to hurry up and get here and see you guys."

"Well, you're here now." She grabs Betty's hands, the two of them doing a little shimmy-dance. "Let's let loose. It's the least we deserve. We're three gorgeous, single girls, and it's about time we act like it."

"You're right, V. School dances are supposed to be fun."

"That's the spirit!" She cheers, dragging her along to the middle of the dance floor.

"Okay, see you guys later, I guess." I mumble to myself.

"All alone?" A voice asks, and I immediately know it's Reggie.

"I came with B and V." I reply, glancing at him, then back over to where the two girls are dancing in the midst of sweaty, glammed up teenagers. "But, they're kind of dancing."

"Do you want some company?" He offers, and I look back over at him. He seems genuine.

"You're not going to beg me for a date again, are you?"

"No." He smirks. "Although-"

"No." I shut him down before he can even ask.

"It was worth a shot." He shrugs. "So, do you want me to keep you company? I'm not much of a dancer, but I make great company."

"Actually..." I trail off, unsure of what to say. My phone vibrates again, but this time it's ringing. I pull the phone out, an unfamiliar number on screen. I awkwardly smile at Reggie. "Do you mind if I take this call?"