ninety six ♡

Olivia's heart beats harder in her chest as she re-reads the message. So hard, in fact, that it's a surprise that it hasn't burst through her chest. Surely, this is some sort of sick joke. He's dead, so surely it can't be him. Unless he's actually alive. Olivia's eyes widen as she comes to a realisation; she never saw her father's body.

Betty glances away from her phone, her brows furrowing in confusion when she sees the shocked expression on Olivia's face. "What is it?" Betty asks, trying to sneak a glance at the screen. Olivia is quick to act, locking her phone quickly.

Olivia shakes her head, forcing a smile. "Nothing. Who messaged you?" Olivia tries to change the subject. "Was it Jughead?"

"Oh, no. It's just Kevin." Betty shrugs. "Practice is running longer tomorrow night because there are only two practices left, so I'll have to come over later, around midnight, is that okay?"

Olivia nods enthusiastically. "Yeah, that's fine." At least if Betty isn't here she can meet her father with no questions asked. "Actually, you know what? You don't even have to come by tomorrow."

"Are you sure?" Betty asks hesitantly. The gut feeling that something could go horribly wrong returns, but Betty shakes it off as concern over her cousin's eating habits. "What about dinner? Are you going to cook for yourself?" Betty expresses her concerns, trying her hardest to be subtle. She's already hidden every sharp object in sight, hence why they only have plastic cutlery.

"I'll be fine." She tries to assure Betty, glancing back at her phone. "Just have fun at rehearsals and don't worry about me."

Betty sighs reluctantly. "Okay, fine." 

*

The next morning, once Betty has left for school and rehearsals, Olivia finds herself pacing around the silent living room. She doesn't know whether to be excited or scared. Either way, she's finally going to be able to find out if what was written in her folder is true. She'll know if her father really is ill.

By the time that eleven o'clock rolls around, Olivia is already out of the door. She might as well get there early. After all, she hasn't seen him for months. As Olivia walks down the street, she tenses up, feeling like someone may be watching her. She stupidly shrugs it off though and makes her way to Fox Forest.

As Olivia looks up at the trees in front of her, she has second thoughts, wondering if she should turn around and just go home? Olivia shakes her head, mentally scolding herself as she steps into the forest. Olivia lets out a shriek as she comes face to face with someone who definitely isn't her father.

"Olivia?" Midge Klump asks, confused as she tilts her head at the petite blonde in front of her. "I thought you were in Italy?"

Olivia nods as she regains her composure. "I was. I got home today." She lies, before her eyes widen. Was Midge the one texting her? What else would she be doing in Fox Forest? Olivia figures there's only one way to find out, "Hey, uh, what are you doing in Fox Forest?"

"I was just meeting someone," Midge admits, although avoids telling her who. "but, please don't tell anyone that you saw me."

Olivia wonders why she wouldn't want anyone knowing that she'd met up with Moose for a tryst in Fox Forest, but nods anyway. "My lips are sealed if you keep yours sealed about seeing me too."

Midge nods, glancing around her. "Got it. I never saw you, and you never saw me." She says, making Olivia sigh in relief. "I've gotta go, but we should meet up and go shopping soon."

"Sounds great," Olivia replies, glancing at the time on her phone. "I'll text you about it."

"Great." Midge beams before they part ways, with Midge leaving the eerie forest, and Olivia walking further into it.