Chapter 1

Chapter one

"Today is the start of a new adventure. New challenges to face, new memories to make, and new obstacles to overcome"

~Nishan Panwar

Rian POV

We are now landing on Seoul, Korea. Please fasten your seat belts. Thank you for flying with us. We hope you enjoy your stay.

As the plane starts to descend, the image of the city gradually becomes clear and the white clouds dramatically fades away. I stare at the Seoul airport, feeling heavier than ever. I can feel my stomach turning into knots and my throat becoming dry.

"We're here!" My dad whispers happily to my ear, making my skin crawl. I frown, and use a small damp towel to dab off the sweat on the back of my neck, not bothering to give him a glance. He knows I don't want to be here, so why can't he just leave me alone?

"Still giving me the cold shoulder, huh?" My dad mutters, causing me to feel a bit hurt inside. I turn away, facing back at the window. I turn up the volume of my headphones, listening to old Adele songs.

"Let's go" my dad interrupts my relaxing moment and stands up to retrieve our suitcases. I groan and slide my headphones back around my neck.

I immediately feel tired as we walk through the crowded airport. My legs feel weak and my head feels heavy. I find the nearest empty bench and dump myself on it.

"You stay here. I'll look for our reserved taxi" My dad leaves his suitcase next to me. I slowly nod, and he spins around, walking away. I sigh in relief when he leaves.

As I am left alone, I rest my chin on top of my suitcase and look around the airport. I notice a happy girl running towards a boy, probably her boyfriend. She jumps towards him to give him a big hug. I look at the right, and notice two excited children jumping towards a man in military uniform. The children grins widely and gives their dad a small kiss on the cheek.

I sigh. Everyone seems just so happy.

After about ten minutes, I stand up. With my bags dangling on my elbows, and my palms aching from griping the other suitcases too hard, I slowly walk around to search for my dad.

Suddenly, as I am walking around, the bags slides off my arm and drops into the floor with a loud thump. I groan and clench my fists while closing my eyes and taking deep breaths to control my temper.

How much bad luck can one girl have?

"Hey! Watch out!" A random voice shouts in Korean. I immediately open my eyes and spin around, but it's too late. The next thing I know, I lay on the floor groaning.

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry!" The same voice yells in Korean. I open my eyes and see a boy my age, with a helmet. His left hand is holding a skateboard and his other hand is reaching for me.

What is he saying? I know only little Korean, but I guess that he's apologizing? I take his hand and stand up, then quickly smooth my shirt and hair.

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay? I tried telling you to move, but you wouldn't even budge!" The boy shouts. Instead of answering, I stare at him, speechless. I feel angry at him for bumping into me, but I am also a bit nervous at the same time. I don't know any Korean, so what can I say? Just hearing him speak makes my head hurt.

I clear my throat. "Uh- no Korean" I stammer, making hand motions. The boy seems to understand, and nods his head.

"Oh... do you speak English?" He asks in a perfect English accent, which surprises me. I squint my eyes, swallow, and nod slowly.