Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Things are not always as they seem; the first appearance deceives many"

~Phaedrus

Rian POV

I feel small as I look around the huge cafeteria full of loud students, some running around immaturely, and some singing or dancing. As Jenny "guides" me through the cafeteria, I try my best to follow her and to not give anyone eye contact. But it's difficult when people give you looks.

"Is she the new girl?"

"Yeah, I guess so"

"She came from America, right?"

"Ah I was hoping she would've been pretty..."

"Yeah, that's a pity..."

"She must be really talented. I never met anyone who started school in the middle of semester..."

"I guess..."

Not understanding anyone makes me feel uneasy. I ignore them, and sit on an empty table, as Jenny goes to her friends. She obviously doesn't want to sit next me, and I don't want to sit next to her.

Keeping my eyes frozen on my hot noodles, I use the chopsticks to play around with my food. My stomach is aching in hunger, but my mind says the exact opposite.

I sigh when I see a sudden familiar shadow casting in front of me on the table. I look up and see Jenny with a group behind her.

"What?" I mutter. The last thing I want right now is to see her.

"Oh, I just came to say hi and wondered how you were doing" Jenny gives me a bright smile, causing me to roll my eyes. I bet she's just trying to put on a show by acting nice.

"I'm fine" I quickly mutter, and play with my food more.

Jenny giggles, "Are you sure? It seems like you don't know how to use chopsticks. I mean, even my 5 year old brother knows how to do it!" Some people behind her giggles softly, causing me to frown. What is with this chick? I never did anything wrong to her, so why is she being so rude? Her joke isn't even funny, so why are people laughing?

I shrug and stand up to leave calmly, but when I turn around, I abruptly stop. I find a man's chest right in front of me, causing my face to flush. I look up and stare at the familiar looking brown eyes. The same boy, the one I bumped into in the airport, and earlier this morning, stands right in front of me. His name is Jinyoo, right? I swallow, feeling confused. Is he going to insult me too? I was being a little bit of a jerk back then...

"Here" Jinyoo holds out a fork without any expression on his face. I bite my lip and after a few seconds, I carefully take the fork from his hand. Is this a trick?

"Thanks..." I mutter, still feeling confused. Jinyoo shrugs and walks away, leaving me standing frozen. The sound of Jenny's chuckling wakes me from my thoughts.

"He was always a weird guy" she mutters and walks away, with the others trailing behind. I sit back down on my chair and without any problem, I gulp down the noodles fast. But no matter how hard I try, my mind always thought of the boy, Jinyoo.

Why did he help me, after I was so rude to him? I close my eyes as I eat, trying to stop thinking about him. He was probably just trying to be nice.

When I finish two bowls of noodles, I rub my satisfied tummy and look around the cafeteria. To my surprise, almost everyone is crowding in front of a big TV at the corner of the cafeteria. Curious, I stand up and walk over to the crowd to see what's happening.