Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"She took a step and didn't want to take any more, but she did"

~Markus Zusak

Rian POV

I pick up my spoon and scoop a big portion of rice from my bowl, and take a big bite. I still can't use chopsticks, so it's going to be rather difficult to adjust into this environment. As I chew, I try to avoid eye contact with my dad, who is trying to use his chopsticks to pick up steamed vegetables.

I still can't get used to him.

"Okay, it took three days to finally put our furniture and belongings in the house, but we finally did it." My dad speaks as I eat. "And three days is long enough. Tomorrow morning, you are going to school"

I purse my lips and pause for a moment, but continue eating.

"I bought your school uniform, and I completed all the documents" he sets a completed new student form on the table, in front of me. "You have to wake up early tomorrow, I'll drive you to school. Remember to bring your suitcase" He exclaims.

I ignore him and continue eating.

"Make sure you study hard. I'm being nice and letting you go to an Musical Arts school. I'm very unhappy about it, but I'm only doing it for you. So please don't give me an attitude"

I frown.

"You better get good grades. One bad grade and you are going to a different school. Understand?"

"No" I finally answer with a serious tone.

"Excuse me?" He raises his head and gently puts his spoon down.

I look at eyes. "Please, I don't want to go to school. Can I be home schooled instead? I'll do all the chores, and cook all the food. Just please not make me go to school. Why do I have to go to a school, when I can't even speak the language? I'll be an outcast!"

My dad just stares at me. "No exception. You are going to school" He stands up and leaves the room.

"Ugh!" I sigh when he leaves. I kick the table leg loud enough for him to hear, and then I march all the way up the stairs to my room. Still in my casual clothes, I jump into bed and throw a small tantrum. I can't believe I had to beg him- what about my pride? I sigh and stare at the window next to me.

The moonlight brightened the dark lake nearby, causing it to light up the beautiful area. Sitting up, I pick up the picture on the desk next to my bed.

A picture of my mom.

I stare at it and finally put it down, sighing. Even though it's 8 PM, I lay my head on the pillow and close my eyes.

~Next Day~

As the car reaches the front entrance of Oaks Arts High, I flip the car's sun visor open, and stare at my reflection in the mirror. I quickly smooth the small bumps on my hair and frown. No matter how hard I try, I always end up looking the same- ugly. I bite my lip and close the car's visor carefully, if I did it too hard my dad would complain.

Wait- why should I even care what he thinks? He probably wants to leave me, to get rid of me from his life. I mean, why else is he making me attend a private school? He even paid for the tuition and everything! We're not even rich!

"Alright, we're here" My dad sighs after he parks the car. I let out an angry breath and smooth my recently ironed uniform skirt. I walk out of the car and to the school, where a man in a fresh suit stands in front of the door. He must be the principal.

"Welcome. You must be our new student" The principal smiles warmly at me when I walk up to him. He reaches out his hand for a handshake.

"Hi, you must be Principal Choi. It's a pleasure to meet you." My dad walks up next to me and smiles politely. "This is Rian Lee. She will be attending Oaks Arts High starting today"

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you, Rian" Principal Choi smiles to me. I fake a smile. At least he knows English.

 My dad smiles and turns to face me. "Rian, why don't you go back to the car and get your suitcase out from the trunk?" He gives me his car keys and my student ID card. "Principal Choi and I will be at his office to discuss a few things. Why don't you meet us there?"

Silently, I grab the keys and head back to the parking lot. While jiggling the keys, I take out my black suitcase out off the trunk and walk back to the front entrance of the school. I scan my school ID card on the monitor and hear a beep. Just when I'm opening  the front door, I hear a sudden shout.

"Hey! Keep the door open!" A voice yells. I spin around and see a strange boy nearby, running towards me. "Leave the door open! I forgot my ID card!"

I swallow and stare at him as he runs to me. What is he saying? He's wearing a school uniform, so must be a student here. But what if he isn't? He can be a murderer disguised as I student for all I know.

I suck my cheeks and enter the school without giving the boy a glance. I quickly walk to a staircase nearby, but suddenly feel my wrist being pulled. I gasp and spin around. Shockingly, I see a familiar face.

"Yah! Did you not hear me? Man am I glad I ran fast enough to open the door!" The boy complains. What the heck is he saying? Suddenly, his eyes widen. "Hey... Aren't you that girl I bumped into at the airport last week?"

Still not understanding him, I throw my wrist out of his grasp and back away. His face looks familiar.

"Oh yeah... you only know English..." He mutters. "Do you remember me?" He finally asks in English, with a bright voice.

I stay quiet.

"You're going to school here? That's strange, since it's the middle of semester... and since you don't know Korean..." He mutters the last part. "My name is Jin Yoo Jin. People just call me Jinyoo"

I nod slowly and look away.

"So, what's your name?" Jinyoo asks.

"I'm... Rian" I mutter, trying my best to not give him eye contact.

"Hmm... you're a bit quiet" He mutters.

"Shouldn't you be at class?" I suddenly snap at him. Jinyoo gives me a confused face. "Yeah... I'm going right now. My alarm didn't go off so I'm late..."

I roll my eyes. "Please. One glance at you and I immediately know that you're one of those lazy guys, who obviously don't care about school or anything else in life" My head suddenly turns red of anger.

"What?" Jinyoo gives me a face. For a moment, there is an awkward silence. "You know, If you're mad about me bumping into you at the airport, I said I was sorry. You don't have to be such a jerk about it"

"Whatever" I mutter and walk away. I glance behind me as I walk away, and notice that he is still standing in the same spot, with a shocked look.

"Hey! Instead of staring at me, why don't you go to your class? Drop out..." I mutter the last part.

Jinyoo gives me a face. "You know, I hate people like you" He sneers and turns around, walking away. Hearing him say that makes my heart melt. I groan and slap my forehead. I admit, I was being a jerk, but... I just suddenly got mad. So much for making friends...

"Whatever..." I mutter. He wouldn't have been a good friend anyway. I ignore my thoughts and walk up the stairs to find the principal's office.

I hope I can make friends this year.

__________________________________________________________

The picture on top is Jinyoo~