Hiding In Plain Sight

Horrible weather, as always, ugh!

Rantaro Amami mumbled to himself. Rain was dripping onto the raincoat he was barely able to afford. He wasn't used to having to make his own money... Especially since he was a well known "crinimal" according to the news.

Ever since the alerts had gone out telling people to start looking for the sixteen missing ultimates, they all had to go into hiding. He didn't personally know the other sixteen. Well, he knew one. But he hadn't see her since they were kids. The sixteen of their faces had been plasted all over the news, billboards, everywhere. Though, with Amami, he had changed his appearance.

Instead of his golden blond hair he had green. Instead of his formal clothes he had, well, rags. His parents were even against him, chasing him, trying to force him to go on this mission, to "save" humanity. Humanity doesn't deserve saving. Not if their going to do this to us. Sending us to space, the last of survivors? No.

Rantaro groaned, inside he knew that it wasn't going to last, he would get caught eventually. Maybe on the ship is better than scavenging for scraps.... No Rantaro, don't think like that, you'll only make yourself more sad.

The green haired boy wandered for a while, though the rain and wind. The sun came up over the road, gently brushing the rain away as it ascended. Sunrise. Great. Lucky the road that he was on was barely used.

"Please move." The figure pushed past him, showing him a bit to the side, though not of any rude intent. They walked past briskly, a single low quality raincoat the only thing protecting them from the world. They seemed to be shivering as well.

Rantaro knew that he couldn't risk having his identity seen but he couldn't just leave the figure with nothing, especially if they was shivering. "Hey, I know we don't know each other, but..." Rantaro approached the figure as they stopped, turning around. A giant scarf hid their face. "Maybe you could use this more than I need it. You seem to be cold." He took the raincoat off himself, giving it the figure. As the ultimate adventurer he'd often find himself in front of poor and starving souls. Due to his wealth, he'd have no problem giving them what they needed. It was a habit.

An inaudible mumble came from the figure. "Thank you." The green eyed boy smiled. "Its the least I can do. I don't think it'll rain in a while, but if it does.. you'll have this!"

"You seem so kind. I'm usually not that silent around strangers but lately,,,,, anyways I'm saying that I need to repay you somehow..." The figure looked at him with Rantaro now seeing its purpleish pink eyes. They seemed heavily dossed with eyebags, as if they hadn't slept. Rantaro gave an unfortunate sigh. He knew how that felt.

"So... What would you like in exchange? I don't have much, but I'm willing to share what I have!" Rantaro had now detected the voice as female, and a teenager about the age of himself. Well he guessed, the girl was around his height she could be any age.

"I, do need a place to stay... Though if you're out on the streets I don't know if you have a home..." Rantaro began.

"Oh, oh no, I have a home.... I'm staying at my grandfather's, though its very boring. I could let you stay overnight but you'd have to be gone by the morning!" The girl replied.

The pink eyed girl grabbed the explorers hand, wading him through cars and traffic. Rantaro stared as the house approached. "W- wow, you'd actually let me stay here..?" Rantaro asked. The house wasn't anything entirely unbelievable, but it was three stories of rooms and decorations. "Yeah. My grandfather wouldn't mind, he's a cool dude. The house has a guest room where you could stay!" The girl raced inside, dragging Rantaro with her.

"But..." Rantaro was amazed. "Why did you let me, a random stranger, into your house. I mean, yeah, I gave you a raincoat but-"

"No buts. I could sense you were kind hearted and I needed to return the favour... And you can't stay outside, you know everyone is searching for you."

Rantaro took a step back. "Everyone, searching-- you must have the wrong person.. Who do you think I am!"

The girl took a step back too, her words not meaning to come off creepy or weird. That was the opposite of who she wanted to be!

"I- I'm sorry I didn't mean that to be weird... Its just..." The girl searched for the right word. Rantaro didn't believe she had bad intentions, she just was a bit... clusmy. With her words. It reminded him of a girl he used to know.

"..." The girl started taking off her raincoat. "Here. Let me show you..." She dumped it of the ground, then started unravelling her scarf. The scarf then was off as she was left in a plain tee-shirt and tights. Her beach blonde hair curled slightly at the ends and stopped at her chest. Her face was more clearly able to be seen, as her scarf has hid most of it before. She seemed strangely familiar yet vastly different.

"Remember.... Kaede Akamatsu..
Your old friend...?"

"... Kaede...?" Rantaro took another step back. The girl look discouraged, as if she had expected some recognition or reward.

"..." Rantaro approached the girl,,, Kaede. She seemed very different than the Kaede he knew. Though he had only known her when they were both children. Its expected she would look different.

"Oh! Are you mystified by the contacts! Yeah, they were a tidbit that my dad added when I went into hiding! Way different than the usual blue you're used to huh?" Rantaro smiled as the blond continued talking. Same old Kaede.

"So..... Are you staying here?" Rantaro asked. Kaede promptly nodded. "When I, well, dissappeared, my parents were tracked down and kidnapped. They thought if they had them, I'd come out and save them! And I WILL!... Once I figure out how..."

"Tea?" She asked out of nowhere. "Uhm... Yes please.... I haven't eaten or drunk anything in a while.."

"You need to eat and drink! I mean, its important!" She started lecturing Rantaro on the dangers of not eating. Yup, still hasn't changed one bit.

"How long have you been here?" The avocado like boy asked as Kaede was filling up 2 cups of tea and making some toast.

"Only a day. In fact, the government never stops. They nearly caught me while I was at my aunties and my parents. They'll try here next, but I want to be one step ahead." She sighed into the mug. "I just want a place to catch my breathe, and I don't like dragging my family into it, however eager they are to help."

"Ahh, well. At least you're family isn't trying to, you know, hand you over the second they could..."

"They did that?!" Kaede was shocked at the calm reaction of Rantaro.

"Yeah..... I guess it my fault, huh? I couldn't protect my sisters and I can't protect myself.... I mean, they all went missing and Mum and Dad seemed delighted." Rantaro gripped his cup a little tighter. "I bet they would love to see the last child knocked off their list."

"Don't beat yourself up over it." Rantaro turned to see Kaede's face smiling up at him. "We won't get caught, okay?"

The boy smiled. "That's a nice thought."