Begin Again

"I - I'm not gonna do that!" I shouted. Maki broke out into yelling again, though not as shrill and loud as the first time.

"You have to! You said you wanted to make up, yes?"

"I'm not gonna kill myself though! That's just - that's just horrible!" I shouted, refuting Maki's words. "You're a pyscopath!" I screamed.

"Maybe." her face went dark.

I was shocked. She picked the knife off me. I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE!!

I ran for the door, Maki chasing after me. She was faster, and more agile. That was to be expected.

I ran faster, as fast as I could. Maki kept chasing me. The wind blew my golden hair up as I rushed out of the bathroom. I glanced over my shoulder to see a brown mass of hair moving towards me faster and faster.

Ran- Rantaro, I need to protect him. Maki had nearly got me pinned as I sprinted with all my heart where Rantaro should be waiting...

I turned the corner and...

Where is here???!? I kept hurrying through the street until a forceingly got pushed to the ground. Blood was splatted onto the concrete and as I tried to push my head back up I realised it was mine.

My head got pushed into the concrete again, I'm pretty sure I could feel my whole face bleeding.

"If you won't do it.... I will." Maki sat on me, easily pushing my face into the ground.

"There has to be another way... Maki...." I said. I havent given up just yet.

Suicide was one of my fears... It sounds silly but lately I've started having nightmares about it - all ending in me hanging by a rope. I'm not into dream symbolism and stuff like that, but I known I would never willingly sign my own death.

"What do you mean 'another way?' Are you really that naive? I expected more from you?" Maki continued pushing my head to the ground.

"I mean, this doesn't have to end in suicide. I know that I made a mistake and I'm so ready to make up for it... But not like that.... Not now..." I breathed heavily from the blood loss. Maki paused for a minute.

"Would you shoot me...?" Her voice was deadly.

"No!"

Maki's grip grew harder. "Be honest."

"No. I'd never kill you, even if it was life and death."

Maybe I shouldn't of used those words...

Maki stood up, forcing me to kneel on the ground. She delicately handed me the knife - it felt similar to the scene in the bathroom.

"It is life or death. You either kill me, or kill yourself. Either way this tale is ending how it started." Maki said cryptically.

"We don't have to do this, you know..." My words were watsed on her though, she still looked down on me with the same unchanging expression.

"I have suffered. And now you will too."

I looked for something, anything to stop this. I couldnt just throw the knife away. And I was kneeling, so trying to run from a professionally trained assassin wouldn't work.

In fact, now that I think about it, none of the tactics involving physical activity would work, right? Since she's trained to work hard and keep her fitness up to date and I'm.... Not.

Almost makes me feel jealous.

Well - as jealous as a girl can be when she's staring her death in the face.

I had one option.

Verbal confrontation.

"Maki. We can start over." I started.

"Yes. I know we can. Why else do you think imm doing this."

"One of us dying isn't exacttttly starting over." I streached out the 'exactly. ' I was kind of nervous, but I know, whatever I do, whoever confronts me. That I can get through it.

"You'll be forgiven for your past."

I wanted to help Maki. I wanted her to be stable and get a therapist. Knowing I'd done this to her broke me.

"Killing isn't the option. Isn't killing the thing you wanted to stop?"

"So what? I'll stop killing when you make your decision. Come on, it's either me or you."

I sighed. I'm the one with the knife, right? I should make the decisions. Not her.

I decided to take a risk, bring the knife out from where I was holding it. Maki's eyes glew up, as though she actually enjoyed the pain she was putting me through. She sickened me.

I held the knife to her throat, full knowing I couldn't go through with her masterplan. She apperently didn't get the memo as she kept cheering me on. "Do it! Do it you piano freak!"

This is fucked up. My thoughts echoed my statement, all of them, just screaming at me to find a solution.

I took a breath in, praying to whatever was up there that this went well.

"I'm not going to kill you, and you're not going to kill me Maki Harukawa. We are going to work things out another way, and that's going to start with us fixing our relationship." I said this with as much authority I could muster in my voice. "If you disobey me, I'll..... I'll tell the police about you."

Maki laughed like a pyscopath. "First off-" She wiped tears from her eyes. "First off, how do you think the police are going to do anything. Second off." her face grew more serious. "I know relationships can't grow. Expecially ours."

"What are you talking about...?" I was confused. "Of course relationships can grow."

"Not for me... You have alot in this world you need to learn."

"Can you stop for a minute! You're actually driving me crazy! Your sense of reasoning and focus is so clawing and chaotic! You keep on talking about death as if it's a daily thing. It might be daily for you, but for me it's not!"

I continued. "You think your way is the only right way! And that's a closed off way of thinking. Human beings don't learn anything with that method. They need to step outside their comfort zone."

"And, uhm... Lucky for you, I'm willing to help...And I think the first step,,, is to start over." I didn't know what I could do, I just prayed she didn't slit my throat then and there.

Maki smirked, looking me direct in the eyes. "Sure, let's see where this goes.

Her sarcastic nature pissed me off, but... I still couldn't believe she accepted.

Maybe we really could start over.