Kill My Way To The Top

The pianist's blond hair was getting moved about as she tossed in her sleep. It wasn't often she had a nightmare, but with her confrontation with Maki, it was almost destiny.

A bright stage light up, an act was starting. Kaede clutched at her gloves, she was next. That was when her plan would have to go into motion. She was 15 again.

She had been auditioning for the band for years. It was the only way she could get into her dream school. But every year, the judge ignored her for someone prettier. Someone with who was bolder, stronger. Someone else.

She knew this was the last chance to get into this school. It was a gateway for hopes peak academy. They don't accept anyone older.

A real musician. I'd finally be a real musician.

Maki poked her head out from the corner. "You okay back here?"

"Maki, what are you doing here?!" Kaede whispered angrily. "You're meant to be waiting for my performance."

Maki was the stage and lights manager. She worked with the organisation as a part time job and the girls had bonding over a few of Kaede's practise sessions.

"Just checking everything was good." Maki smiled. At the time Kaede was used to her smiling, Maki would smile at everything she said. Little did she know tonight was the last time she would see her smile in a long time.

Maki set up the lights. Kaede had asked her to set up to lighting so it was absolutely gorgeous. The act finished at it was Kaede's turn. She was last. The only ones in the room were her, Maki and the judge.

Rays were set around the piano. The beautiful lights looked like the song was coming from heaven. Kaede stepped out, her low-cut dress fluttering.

Her gentle fingers came out to play the notes. She had practised this melody so many times before.

The gorgeous notes stopped as the blond finished playing her piece. Even Maki was amazed, although she'd heard the piece countless times before.

It was like an angelic note. Beautiful. "Like Kaede" Maki said, a smile on her face. She wanted her friend to succeed. Not only cauz Kaede had promised shed get Maki into Hopes Peak with her, no. Kaede deserved it.

That's what Maki thought at least. "Next. Next!" The judge shouted. "Oh, we're out of auditions."

Kaede's eye were still helpful though. "Did I get it?"

"I'm not allowed to share results.... But you were a hard no." The judge stated, turning his nose up at the girl.

"I - I practised this for half a year though. I have talent! I can do another performance if you want. Please." Kaede was growing desperate.

"The music industry isn't all about music. It's about fashion and looks. You did well at presentation. But.... You might need to up your looks." The judge said.

"Then who did get in?" Kaede's voice cracked as she screamed.

"Certainly not you with that attitude! The nice girl from Mickelson.... Alili Obiri.... The three twins...." The judge listed them on his fingers.

"Alili doesn't even know how to play an instrument..." Kaede was full on broken. Maki's blood boiled in hatred for the man making her best friend, no - only friend, cry.

"Can't you do something. Anything? I don't know how to do anything else but music...." Kaede collapsed to the floor.

"Yes. But I don't want to." Judge began walking away.

Kaede snapped. She'd had enough. Enough of regection after regection. She grabbed the nearest sharp object to her and lunged at the man.

"Kaede!" Maki screamed, hurrying down from the rafters. But the only thing Kaede could feel was blind rage.

She had grabbed a jagged piece of metal. She put it to the judges throat. "Let me in."

Maki was now down with the two. "Kaede stop." Kaede couldn't hear her.

"It's not worth it." Maki touched Kaede's shoulder. The judge wasn't saying anything due to panic.

"Don't you want to get it too? To hopes peak. I could be famous, support my family... And with the money I get from that....." Kaede looked towards Maki, her eyes glazed over. "I could support children in need."

Kaede knew what she was doing was wrong. She also knew manipulating Maki's feelings was wrong. She knew how Maki felt about her past. She knew she would do anything to help. Even kill.

"Now." Kaede turned her attention back to the judge. "Let me into the list, and I'll forget this ever happened."

"I can't do that miss."

"Why not."

The judge flinched as the weapon got closer to his throat. "Nobody will watch your performances. You're not good enough."

Kaede's blinded stabbed the weapon into his throat, her emotions taken over. This was what she had woken on for so long. Five years.

Since she was little.

She wasn't gonna have it torn away now.

"Kaede stop." Rantaro woke her. It was still nighttime and Maki was standing next to him, with a bruise on her head.

"You pushed me off the bed." Maki stated.

Rantaro laughed. "Yeah, Maki asked me to go and wake you up. She said you might be confused if she did it alone."

"Oh... Well thanks." Kaede noticed the eyebags under both of their eyes. "You two better get some sleep."

"Yeah. Ill sleep on the floor outside." Maki grunted.

"Well. Goodnight Kaede." Rantaro gave a shy wave.

"Goodnight."