Hospital

Kirigiri stood in front of the detective. She repeated her statement.

"Can I ask you some questions?"

"Huh, yeah. Sure. Go ahead." Shuichi muttered. He was clearly in a daze but Kirigiri had to find out who did this as soon as possible.

"Why are you here..?" Kirigiri asked, her lavender eyes staying on the boy.

"Huh..?" Shuichi replied.

Maybe he didn't understand. He is still in a daze Kirigiri, of course he wouldn't respond. Why did you think that would work? And you're question was too vague and unspecified that he wouldn't know what to say!

I know.

Then why did you ask him.

Fear.

I don't want anyone else to suffer through what I have.

And if she is released....

The killings might start up again.

Kirigiri snapped back to attention as the nurse began talking. "Umm, he might not remember everything. There was a lot of blood lost in his right leg."

Kirigiri sighed. Dammit. Another amnesiac. It would be harder for the poor boy to recall certain memories or thoughts. She felt pity for him.

But of course, she never showed that on her face.

Shuichi was lying down, looking at the roof with his brows furrowed.

How did he get here....?

He turned to look at the two beside him. The lavender haired one was no longer looking over him, instead talking to a nurse. A nurse?

If he tried, he could eavesdrop of their conversation. But he didn't have enough energy. Their voice were low, and the words were unrecognisable.

Huh?

Kirigiri was leaning over again, at the side of his bed.

"What's your name?" she asked.

His name..... He'd have to remember that, right? Ummmm-

Shuichi stayed silent. The detective looked at him, waiting for a response.

"I - I don't know......"

He doesn't know?!

Kirigiri was shocked. On the inside of course. She needed to remain calm on the outside, the less panicked she appears, the more comfortable a patient is.

"Do you remember anything at all? Anything about how you got here?"

Shuichi stayed silent. Kirigiri assumed the worst.

"Do you remember your talent?" kirigiri asked.

"T- talent........" Shuichi looked up at Kirigiri confused.

"That's okay." she informed him. "Most patients don't remember anything after the first few days. In a few days you'll be back to normal."

She hated outright lying to him like this. But she could see how his shoulders relaxed when she told him this, how his expression changed from a worried smile to content.

Kirigiri stayed by his side. He must have fallen asleep, because the next time he woke up, she and the nurse had different clothes on.

"H- how long was I out for?!" Shuichi tried to push him up, but instantly had a painful feeling in his back. He remembered last time that happened. Obviously he wasn't out for long enough for the scars to heal.

"Only a day." The nurse informed him. Her curly hair and normal terrified face were much more relaxed than the first time the boy had seen her.

"Come to think of it, weren't you guys looking for ultimates and all that?" Shuichi asked. His usual anxious nature hadn't kicked in yet, probably because of Mikan's prescription.

"Yeah.... Don't worry though. The last thing we want is for you to be worried. Makoto was a bit sick after you two ran off..." she paused and then glanced straight at him, her eyes narrowed. "Wait. I thought you couldn't remember anything?"

Shuichi paused. "I remember something I guess..... Its slowly coming back to me, because I know for sure I didn't remember any of that yesterday..."

Kirigiri knew Shuichi's answer was suspicious. What have you been involved in....

Saihara smiled nervously. "I hope that's not too much of a bother...."

He shows no traits of a liar. No usual hair fiddling or eye darting... But I still want to keep a close eye on him. He may still be useful to the case.

And of course he's an ultimate. But I can't hand him to the academy right away.

Not until I get my answers.

There was an awkward silence between the two detectives. Mikan was busy, she had left the room while the two were talking. She didn't want to get involved.

"So... You remember that you're an ultimate..." Kirigiri waited for him to respond, filling in the blanks.

"I- I know I'm the ultimate detective. I don't remember how or why I got that title. And I also don't know why Im here." Shuichi winced at the pains of his back. "I'm assuming I was shot..."

Smart detective.

"Yeah. You were. Do you remember your name?" she asked.

"Umm.... No..." Shuichi looked to the side away from Kirigiri. He didn't know why, but he felt she would be disappointed.

Why did this feeling of disappointment seem so familiar?

He didn't want to remember. He didn't remember.

"Your name is Shuichi Saihara." Kirigiri got up to leave. "See me if you have any further memories."

"No, wait.." Kirigiri stopped. Shuichi realised how loud he said that and covered his mouth, his eyes darting around nervously. "Ahh, umm."

"Can you tell me what you meant by  you two ran off.... Were... They're two of us." Shuichi glanced at ground, clearly uncomfortable and nervous.

"Yes... You and the ultimate adventurer left the building by, well, simplely running. I expected the building to be more heavily guarded, but at least you guys escaping means we knew something was wrong with our defences."

Shuichi glanced blankly up at her, not really understanding what she was saying.

"And.... To be fair, we were distracted at the time you two escaped... When you two ran off, we were greeted with a new student." Kirigiri licked her lips, looking away. "The student handed themselves in apparently. The reward would have went to his family but, as we were told, he had none."

"What was his name." Shuichi glanced up.

"Kokichi Ouma. The ultimate supreme leader... You'll meet him in a few weeks, when the medical ward decides to finally transfer you to Hopes Peak."