Fake

Kaede Akamatsu stood at the door of Apartment 337.

Rantaro stared at her, before looking down suddenly, a flush spread in a roos his face. She was only wearing a bath towel.

Maki kept staring ahead. "Kaede..."

The blond noticed her. "Oh, Maki!" Kaede leapt at Maki, pulling her in a tight hug. However the assassin seemed to be unfazed by this, unlike other people trying to touch her, or give her physical attention. In fact, Maki had a slight smile on her face.

"I missed you too Kaede." she whispered.

"You... Guys know each other?" Rantaro blurted out.

"You didn't think I came here for no good reason, did you? When I heard you were looking for Kaede, that she was still alive.... I had to come." Maki glared ahead at Rantaro.

"Come in, I'll get tea's." Kaede ushed them inside. The divide between the outside world and Kaede's soft new home she had made for herself had closed as the two stepped in.

Kaede was laying out on the couch, lieing her head in Maki's lap. The first few tries Maki had refused, but eventually she gave in. Amami was on the same couch, Kaede's legs on top of him. Usually he'd be into it if a girl decided to put their naked legs across him. But this was Kaede. He didn't think of her like that.

"How... Did you two even meet?" Kaede asked.

"I was searching for you. I didn't want to be alone" Rantaro replied

I mean, I know how that feels.

"Aww, that's sweet" Kaede smiled.

"Then we got kidnapped by a gang." Maki bluntly stated.

"Cool?"

Maki yawned, standing up. "Have anywhere for me to stay?"

"You can sleep in my bed." Kaede eyes were bright as she said, no almost begged Maki to consider. Rantaro wondered if she was into girls.

"And, me..?" The adventureer felt weird, chiming into the conversation like this.

"What about you?" Kaede replied, still distracted by the chance that the ultimate assassin could sleep in her bed.

"Where... Can I sleep? I'm fine with staying on the floor if you two want to share a bed." Rantaro felt excluded from the group, he knew some sort of romance was happening and although he didn't want anything to do with it, he still felt lonely. He felt excluded, not jealous.

"...If you're okay with that. I would recommend that you sleep on the couch, except I've tried it, and it's hurts your back in the morning."

"How'd you try it?"

"I feel asleep, looking at the stars... I hope this does sound so cringy... But they reminded me of you." Kaede said as Maki blushed.

They walked to the room. Rantaro waiting outside. He had some time alone to think. But really all time is time alone if the people you're with don't include you.

Rantaro shook his head, vanquishing the thought. Surely he didn't have to be the center of attention all the time.

He imagined this differently. Him and Kaede meet up. She leapt into his arms and not Maki's. By a weird twist of fate, he had gotten Maki involved though.

If I hadn't mentioned Kaede to her, she wouldn't of cared. But now...

Rantaro glanced to where Kaede and a much happier Maki were talking.

Im not the top priority. I shouldn't of left Shuichi.....

Shuichi....

Shit. Rantaro had almost forgotten the black haired boy. The shy, scared detective was the one he was meant to protect. No, the one he wanted, with all his heart, to protect.

He knew he shouldnt of sacrificed him to come here.

It really wasn't worth it.

The light flickered off in Kaede's room as the two said their goodnight. Kaede came out to wish Rantaro a good night before heading to bed. A singular nightlight was the only source of light in their room. The door slowly clicked shut.

"You piece of shit, why are you here? Why here, why this number, why this place?" The limited lighting in the room prevent Kaede from seeing much, but she could still see Maki's angry face on top of her as her gleaming reddish knife was positioned, read to strike Kaede's neck.

"Look, I don't know why you're here. I didn't care to see you ever again. Aside from the ads around town, telling everyone the reward on your head." Kaede kept her voice down, but still managed to make the words meaningful.

"I could say the same about you lil miss pianist." Maki gripped the knife tighter. "You're a fake to everyone, and I thought you changed. But seeing me with you and that avacado boy tonight made me believe that 'you changing' was just another mask of lies."

Kaede grip flew to the knife, flipping herself over so she was on top of Maki. Both girls had the strength to hold each other down. Now the knife was in Kaede's hand.

"Listen. I have changed. My music has got me somewhere. Unlike your talent bitch." Maki's eyes grew wide as Kaede continued. "You work for evil people, evil organisations and groups. Once I even thought we were friends. Once."

"Yeah, you thought we were friends when I had to help you with everything." Maki grimed, her eyes staring painfully at Kaede's

"It was one thing." Kaede said.

"And it ruined my life..." Maki blinked before starting over. "Did you think of the reason I dissappeared? No. You only think of yourself."

"Killing someone for the first time... You can't take that back. A human being. With jobs, emotions. Kids, a family." Maki's eyes became watery, a sight not seen by most. Her voice slightly crack on the last word. Family. Something she had always wanted.

Something she imagined herself having with the blond pianist from many years ago. The girl holding a knife to her throat was a different person though. Completely.

Kaede's eyes were watering too, remembering all the fun times she had had with her friend of the past.

"I.... Thought it would get me ahead..... I was stupid, young, dumb..... Just a young dumb pianist with no talent...." Kaede began silently crying. Maki's eyes softened for a single second until they narrowed as she flipped the girl under her again.

"This is what I get, huh?" Kaede's voice seemed null. "........That's fair."

"Do you remember what you did? To me." Maki stared down at the pitiful creature below her.

"Yes. But for a while, killing him seemed like the only option to get ahead......."

You know that's an excuse Kaede. You only succeeded in the music industry because of Maki. Because of who she killed. Because of what strings she pulled. You're a fake.

Maki sighed. "I can't kill you." An emotion was showing in her eyes, perhaps empathy? No. Her eyes were narrowing and scalding again. "But I can make you go through what I went through."