Fire And Ice

The bluette sat in the back of the police car, hand on chin and staring out the window blankly.

Shuichi was kind of nervous about the female. He hadn't yet remembered all of his lost memories, but his gut feeling told him to run.

He steadied himself, focusing on the road and trying to get rid of the ominous feeling.

Ouma was in the passenger seat beside him. He was on a call with Kirigiri, informing her of the situation.

"Yes, yes, she's detained, it's cool Kiri."

"..."

"Stop acting like my mum! If you did want to adopt me, you should just ask, not automatically assume possession of me!" Kokichi joked. Shuichi smiled at his partners words.

"Pretty sure you don't know what half of those words mean." Shuichi half smirked.

"So what. They're words!, they're there to be used!" Kokichi retorted.

Shuichi gave him a humorous eyeroll and focused his attention back to the road.

Kokichi turned back to his phone.

"..." Kokichi went silent for a couple seconds, listening to his purple haired instructor. He then held the phone away from him.

"Now she thinks we're dating... Cute. " Kokichi nonchalantly told him.

"Wait... What!" It took a second for Shuichi process the information Kokichi had told him. His face went bright red, and he tried his best to focus on the road.

"Well, uhm, we're not!" Shuichi told him. Kokichi pouted.

"We aren't?"

"I mean! I don't... No. No we're not!" Kokichi giggled at Shuichi frustration and embarrassment.

Shuichi sighed. "Ask her where she was us to put Tsumugi."

Kokichi smiled evilly before doing exactly as Shuichi said.

"Hopes Peak apparently..." Kokichi was frowning. "That's weird... Why would they want her anywhere near the other ultimates..."

Shuichi shrugged. 'Kirigiri knows what she's doing' he reasoned.

They drove up to the gate to welcome the detective. Kirigiri walked up to them, her hand wrapped around Makoto's as he marched besides her.

"This.... Is the girl who's been causing all the trouble..?" Makoto opened his mouth and stared. Tsumugi was being dragged by Kokichi in handcuffs, looking down towards the ground. She was shaking, like she would have a mental breakdown any second. Perhaps she was already having one.

"Yep." Kokichi put his hands behind his head and nodded, still holding onto Tsumugi and forcing her to go along with his exaggerated movements.

Shuichi shut his car door, walking over to the group. "Believe it or not, yes. She's insane..." He grimaced, remembering the fear and disgust he felt when she was with him. Kirigiri regarded him kindly, putting her hand foreword so Shuichi would have something for support. He noticed, and tightly held her hand, thanking her quietly.

Kokichi noticed this movement. He gave Tsumugi to Kirigiri and stood next to Shuichi brightly. He was slowly weaving his hand next to Shuichi's until they were brushing palms, like some cringy anime couple in a romance series.

Shuichi noticed, but didn't mind Kokichis palm next to his. It was nice to feel his warmth. Until Kokichi took his hand and wrapped his own fingers around Shuichi's.

The black haired detective was startled at first, but then, looking at Kokichi's sympathetic expression, he realised the energetic boy was only trying to comfort him. He smiled.

"You two are getting along good, huh?" Makoto smiled at them while Kirigiri smirked at the couple.

"Aah, no, no, we're just friends!" Shuichi insisted, pulling his palm out of Kokichi's. Kokichi was a bit sad at the loss of contact, but he reluctantly agreed with Shuichi. "Come on guys, like I'd ever fall for a guy like Shuichi! He's too tall! I'd need a stool to reach him!" He joked.

The group laughed, heading inside. They walked inside the building.

"Hey, why are you guys putting Tsumugi here and not, like, an asylum or anything!" Kokichi asked. He walked with Makoto as Kirigiri and Shuichi walked behind them. Tsumugi was in the middle, guarded by both sides.

"She's just a kid." Makoto said. "And, to be honest, she's still an ultimate, so it's law that we bring her here. Even if we wanted to put her somewhere else, we can't."

"We could just stab her and claim nothing happened - throw her in a ditch!" Kokichi joked.

"She's right here - geez Kokichi... Don't joke about stuff like that, expecially if the person's listening." Makoto stated.

"Sorry dad." Kokichi hung his head in shame, definitely over exaggerating.

"She is a danger to society... Is she going to an isolated area or something like that?" Shuichi put a finger to his cheek, staring towards the floor.

"She's not really a danger. After all, she doesn't have any weapons." Makoto turned his head slightly towards Shuichi and Ouma. "You guys have the vials, right..?"

Silence followed as the group stopped walking. Shuichi smiled nervously. "I think..?"

"There were more than one?" An innocent Ouma asked. Though he didn't really seem to be joking at this time.

"You.... got them, right...?" Kirigiri had an emotion on her face that humanity couldn't fully understand. It was mainly disbelief that the two could be so stupid.

"..." Shuichi stayed silent, his eyes going wide. "Uhm...." he reminding Kirigiri of a child whose just had his unfinished homework showed to his mum.

"It's cool, Tsumugi doesn't have it, I checked." Kokichi went to pat Tsumugi on the shoulder but still kept his distance from the shuddering girl.

"..." Shuichi and Kokichi could tell if Kirigiri was angry or upset. "Then... who does have it..?"

Kokichi shrugged nonchalantly. Makoto sighed. "I'll get Aoi and Byakuya to handle it. Where did you guys lose it."

Kokichi began to explain the flowered park area to a patient Makoto.

Shuichi was a bit scared of his mentors reaction. He glanced up dreading her look of utter disappointment.

He looked up and instead got a blank face Kirigiri. Nothing new I guess. Shuichi thought.

He looked down as Makoto ran off, getting his team together. Kokichi noticed Shuichi, and began to wrap his hands around the detectives, more carefully this time.

Shuichi squeezing the liars hand as they slowly started heading down the hall again.

Kirigiri noticed, smiling softly. One of her old memories was brought up by the two, of her and a black haired twintalled girl.