The Circle Of Life

(TW; Suicide mentioned)

Maki and Kaede left hand in hand. Fooling everybody around them - including the green haired boy Kaede had insisted on protecting. 'Kaede has always been manipulative.' Maki gripped Kaede's hand tighter - though it was more like a threat.

(Kaede P. O. V)

Wow. I'm actually going into pov sections. Sorry, if this is a bit unexpected, I've done the whole book in 3rd point of view. So I wanna try something new.

Maki? Being nice? Hah!

She's always had an evil streak in her. Forcing herself to be nice is too out of place. I can tell. I looked towards Maki. Her face showed no emotion, yet her hand held onto mine even tighter. It was a threat.

I knew that wouldn't hesitate to murder.

But, for some reason, last night I was spared? She better give me an explanation, or else.

I might be the one doing the killing.

We entered the bathroom. Maki scouted around, checking that they were truly empty. They must have been, because she turned to me, a sour look on her face, and began talking.

"You.... I don't know what to say.." Maki turned to her, pressing herself closer to me. "I hate you...."

I looked down. Guilt flushed my thoughts. "You have every right to hate me." I whispered out. I knew it was true.

Maki still stared at me. Daring me to make eye contact. I looked up for a brief second to see her waiting for me. Waiting for what? A confession?

I stayed staring at her as she did the same. Both of us were waiting to see who would make the first move.

I couldn't help looking into her eyes and being reminded of the child she once was. When I met her, she was scared, helpless and confused.

I sighed under my breath. Guess that didn't last long.

She'd leant to fight for herself.

And I...

I learnt to hide behind others.

She took a glance at the door. Nobody had interrupted the two yet.

"Why... Why did you come here...?" I found the nerve to ask.

Maki just stared. I couldn't tell what she was thinking. But she didn't reply.

"..." Silence in eloped us both for what felt like an hour, or maybe just a few minutes. Still, Maki kept her eyes on me. I took a breath in, mentally preparing myself for what I was about to say and the consequence of my actions.

"Look... I'm sorry..." I looked Maki in the eye when I said that. I was truthful. And I was... very very sorry.

"...Is that all you could say." Maki voice was dangerously sharp and as cold as ice.

"W - what?" I was taken off guard. Isn't that what she wanted?!

"You think you could say sorry and just - and just let everything go!!?" Maki's whole body trembled. She looked down, bringing out a sharp gleaming object and holding it to my neck. Her voice was shudder and her hands were shaking. I regretted my actions. Maybe I made the wrong choice.

"This knife is made of platinum steel. It could cut your throut quicker than you could ever imagine. I don't plan to kill you, so don't step out of line."

"Maki... " I wasn't scared. I knew she wouldn't kill me. But I felt sorry for her.. All this pain and suffering... I put her through it!

She glared at me. I don't know what she expected. She seemed dissatisfied.

"Maki... I'm sorry... I don't know what else to say." I said.

"AT LEAST MAKE AT EFFORT TO TRY!" Maki exploded. The weapon got closer to my neck. I flinched. "MAKE A EFFORT TO TELL ME EVERYTHINKG GONNA BE ALRIGHT!"

I stayed silent. I didn't want to mess up what I was gonna say. Maki continued having her breakdown. "YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE FOR ME!" She shrieked. "YOU ALWAYS KNEW WHAT TO SAY! I THOUGHT THAT WE MIGHT - WE. MUST BE. FRIENDS. AND I WAS HAPPY! I'D FINALLY GOTTEN A FRIEND!"

Maki's whole body shook. "BUT YOU WERE USING ME! YOU WANTED TO KILL, AND YOU WANTED ME TO GET FRAMED! AND THEN YOU COME BACK HERE, FUCKING THREE YEARS LATER AND PRETEND THAT EVERYTHING YOU'RE DONE.... WAS FINE!"

"IT'S NOT FINE! I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING! POLICE TOOK ME TO JAIL FOR A YEAR! FOR NOTHING! AND YOU KNOW WHAT?! THAT WHOLE YEAR, THE FEELINGS OF BETRAYAL AND DESPAIR JUST TOOK A HOLD OF ME!" Maki continued, taking a deep, shuddering breath. "I -.... I didn't know what to think of you...."

I looked up at her, daring to look her in the eyes. She looked back at me. "It's your fault I'm like this..." I thought she was about to go off on another tangent but she just started whispering to herself. "It's your fault.... It's you're fault...... I'm innocent..... I didn't mean for it to end like this....."

I stated to move towards her, to comfort her. "GET AWAY FROM ME!" She screamed, moving backwards. I've never seen her like this. Maki..... I'm so sorry.... She tilted her face towards the ground.

"I didn't want this to happen..." I said.

"Why did you leave me there then.... As soon as he was dead, you fucked off and left... Left me there with a dead body...." Maki looked away as she ran one of her hands through her hair. "It's not fair.... I just wanted a friend....."

I moved towards her again as her knees buckled. She knelt on the ground her head down. She repeatedly whispered those lines. "I just wanted a friend...."

I've never dealt with someone in a panicked state. I felt bad for her, I felt guilty. Did I really bring this insanity on my childhood friend...? "If I could take it back, I would..." I said.

"No you wouldn't" Maki uttered out between her sobbing.

"I would, and that's the truth..." I looked down at the pitiful girl.

Maki's sobbing subsided. "Prove it." She said, in a dangerously calm voice.

I waited. "How...?"

She gestured at me to sit down on the floor across from her. I sat and she checked the door again, making sure nobody had come in.

She stayed silent, bringing out her knife. I was confused, and slightly worried. For my sake.... And for hers.

She flipped the knife in her hands, weighing it. "I never told you my talent, did I?" she kept her eyes on the knife but her question was directed at me.

She continued before I even had the chance to speak. "Kaede.... The ultimate pianist... Such a lovely talent.... Such a lovely name..." she kept her eyes on the knife, still flipping it around in her hands. Where was she going with this?

"Most people trust you... You're smart, pretty, popular and seem to attract everyone, gravitating them towards you... They trust you .." Maki paused her knife throwing, catching it in one hand and gazing up at me.

"Where are you going with this?" I asked.

She paused and passed the knife to me. I gingerly took it, gazing up into her eyes quizzicaly. She showed no emotion - yet she wrapped both her hands around my hand, which was holding the knife.

"Okay.... Now what?" I asked. I was more scared than before.

"You want us to become friends again? Show it to me. " Maki said.

"H... How?" I was confused.

Maki's eye glowed a dangerous red. "I want you to take this knife, and kill yourself."