The Missing Sisters Case

For the rest of the day Rantaro and Kaede packed supplies and tryed to not get caught. Kaede's grandfather was actually quite helpful, helping them get meals and water. Kaede had a huge light pink backpack which they put everything in. She looked alot like a school girl. Rantaro smiled. He had borrowed some of the clothes from Kaede's grandfather, a striped blue and darker blue shirt with a compass on the bottom and a pair of brown leggings.

Rantaro was sitting on the mattress Kaede's grandfather had so kindly given him. It was about 8 pm and he was sitting cross legged, staring into the distance. He could see the moon, shining bright and boldly.

"Hey." Kaede's voice brought the green haired boy back to Earth. She was leaning against a wall on her own separate mattress. "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Oh. Nothing really. Well..." Rantaro looked back at her, the face he hadn't seen since his childhood. "Doesn't it seem strange? That we're meeting each other again after all this time?"

Kaede held a finger to her lips, thinking. "I guess. It's kinda strange that we met each other because we're running for our lives."

"Hmm. When you moved away, I thought I would never see you again. We had no way of getting in contact, since we were so little and after a while, I could accept that you were gone." Rantaro leaned back. "Until a few days ago, where I saw your name and photo everywhere for the ultimate hunt."

"Yeah. It's strange. But maybe in a good way." Kaede got up, her nightgown fluttering from the open window. She sat next to Rantaro, gazing at the stars. Looking next to her she still couldn't believe that they had met again, maybe it was fate? Two ultimates were better than one. Maybe they could survive a couple more weeks like this.

Kaede's mind drifted back to when she first saw that photo, the propaganda. Her family rushed her to get into hiding, eventually they got kidnapped. She remembered seeing her photo, wondering who would wish such despair on the world. And then she saw Rantaro's, recognising the face instantly. The boy who was her first friend, getting hunted down.

"Did you know any of the other ultimates?" Kaede asked.

"I don't think so. But according to the news none of them had been captured either."

Suddenly Kaede leapt out of bed. "I have an idea!"

Rantaro laughed. "Okay.?"

"Okay, so with one ultimate they could hide about two weeks. Even if it's an ultimate they can't hold off the world."

Rantaro nodded. "Yeah."

"So get this. You and I, two ultimates would be able to hold them off for about maybe a month."

"Depends how good we are but okay."

"So why don't we recruit the other ultimates to join us?!" Kaede grinned. "Its a win-win."

"You know life doesn't work like that. The more ultimates we have, the easier we could get caught." The green haired boy let out a sigh. "And besides,  if the police and stuff hadn't found them, how are we going to?"

"Okay, but can we at least try? You were nearly dead when I found you, and now you're gonna be selfish and say other people don't deserve life?" Kaede begged.

"I guess we could find them, and give them food and stuff, not letting them come with us." Rantaro agreed.

"Great!" Kaede booted up a laptop, laying it down next to her and Rantaro.

"If you search it up, wouldn't they know we're here?"

"Nah." Kaede typed quickly into the search bar. "The whole world's looking for us, do you think they'd care if there's one more search for where the missing ultimates are?"

"True." Rantaro gazed at the laptop. On the screen were pictures of the missing ultimates, next to the reward money. 200 000 000 Yen for the capture of one ultimate. 'These people are sick' Rantaro thought.

Kaede typed a bit more. "Aghh, there's nothing coming up. The last known locations were a month ago for most of them. Some of them hadn't been seen for a year... Or more."

"Let me try." Rantaro turned the laptop towards him, clicking a few buttons and typing. "There's limited info on most of them. Some have nothing at all. No mention of them anywhere."

"Well, I guess they were just normal people before the hunt. I mean, most people have a talent that they can't get famous from, like caregiver and... Neo Aikedo? Is that even a thing?"

Rantaro clicked on his and Kaede's names. Kaede's showed up with all her recent concerts, and last known location. Her Aunties house. Rantaro showed up with.... Something he wanted to forget about.

"Whats, 'the missing sisters' case?" Kaede asked. Always inquisitive, not knowing when to stop.

Rantaro flinched. "You know how I used to have 12 sisters?"

"Oh no.... Did something happen to one of them? Please tell me it wasn't Miko or Sayai, I remember teaching them how to walk and talk. Oh, and I remember that one time Ayaka came to me asking for advice on boys. She was so shy back then."

Rantaro groaned a little inside. Kaede was as much of a sister to his siblings as he was. He... Couldn't bear to tell her the truth. She'd hate him. She'd refuse to talk to him.

"Remember that time Misaka climbed on to the fan? That was alot of mess to clean up afterwards! I helped you picked out a new fan too. Though I don't think you liked how bright pink it was." Kaede continued.

'I can't tell her, It would break her heart.' Rantaro thought.

Too late. Kaede had already clicked on the link. Her face went from happy to concerned in a few seconds. "The case that has every detective confused. The Amami family had 12 girls and one boy. The boy is known as Rantaro Amami, the ultimate adventurer and, most recently, has dissappeared due to the ultimate hunt. Amami's sisters had dissappeared three years before, while Amami had taken them on adventures. Some theorists believe he killed his isters while others believe it may just be coincidence. The wildest theories say the parent stage it all, and even wilder ones say the sisters are all alive and well."

Kaede turned to Rantaro. "You.... Lost all 12 of your sisters?"

Rantaro scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah..."

"And the media tried to blame it on you?"

"Yeah..."

He was interrupted by a hug from Kaede. A meaningful one, full of comfort and safety.

She whispered.

"I'm sorry"