Chapter 5

Bright light of the sun, shone upon my eyes causing me to wake up early in the morning.

I opened my eyes. Good thing Miss Sally isn't here to interrupt my day.

"Good Morning."

"Ahhh" I screamed and fell from my bed. Ouch! I tried to get up and at the same time hiding. "Y-You! Yo-you you..." I pointed towards her. I'm trembling to speak.

"Didn't you remember?" She asked.

"The-the... Y-you... ti-tit..."

"I never expected to see you again, Alex. It's good to see you." She's smiling at me like she knew me before. How? How did she even know my name?

"Ahhh!" I screamed.

...

"You must all know that half of our lives are dependent to the nature and to what we planted. It is our only source to fill our hunger and also to be healed. And you must all know that our lifecycle is only revolving inside our wall. We cannot import nor export sources from the outside of our wall. And we cannot get a chance to go outside without the permission from our president. That is why it is really important to know each plant that you may see even in our surrounding or in the book that you were given in your first day. Because you may never know that the plant, fruit, or flower you're holding, going to eat, or given unto you are poisonous. And also because you're part would be something which everyone can depend on, on your generation. You may now start finding, picking and gather some information of the things that are on the lists I gave you. If you're not going to succeed this test until lunch break, you know what will be your consequences. Now go!" Mrs. Tessie said sternly.

The three of us: I, Jamaicah, and Janette started to depart from Mrs. Tessie. This is my new group from now on as Mrs. Tessie said. We were grouped to be taught correctly and strongly. Each group has minimum members of three and the maximum number is five. Our group consists of only 3 members.

The three of us went to the front yard. Jamaicah and Janette searched for some plants or something based to what is written on our list. Each one of us is given different list.

I stayed close to Jamaicah, I don't know what to look for and I'm afraid at Janette that maybe she'll harm me again, much more than a slap on my face.

"We can't finish our test if you're not participating." Janette said.

"Don't be rude, Janette. Besides, she's a neophyte. Maybe Alex didn't know what to look for because she never knew what it may look like that are written on her list. Right, Alex?" Jamaicah defended.

I turned to her then to my paper. She's right but I don't want her to know it. I feel so useless.

"Well, Jamaicah. On our first day, we were given a book for us to study and I'm sure Alex might as well. Yesterday, she has plenty of time to study since the trainings starts on 10:00am – 5:00pm." Janette took my paper. "The plants that are on her list are from the first page of our book. This means that she didn't study the book that she was given even at the first page. And what did she do at her free time? It only means FOOLISHNESS!" She dropped my paper. "I'm not going to help her out. It's her choice anyway. If she'll be punished then it's not my fault." Then she left.

She's right about that also. It's my fault. I usually wake up at noonday. I'm surprised if I wake up at 10:00am or before that because I got up so early. Maybe that is why Miss Sally got disappointed at me yesterday because I was too late and she's waking me up for a long period of time.