T W E N T Y T H R E E

You finished getting ready for work and stepped outside to catch a taxi, you decided you'd go to work early to work on anything you missed the day before. You stopped in your tracks when you saw Gavin parked in front of your apartment building, this feeling of your stomach being stirred around grew and you were nervous. You took a breath and walked toward the car; your body heavy. He was busy looking down at his phone so he didn't see you approach; you hesitantly knocked on the glass of the window with the knuckle of your index finger. He looked up and you heard the door unlock; you gulped and hopped in. The heat from the a.c. warmed you quickly,
"Goodmorning, I was thinking we could stop at that coffee place across the street?"

"S-sure..." you nervously answered

"Are...you still mad at me?" he asked as he drove onto the road

"N-no...I'm not." you felt guilt consume you quickly, he's definitely gonna be mad at you if you tell him. You wanted to but every time you tried to open your mouth to speak during the silent drive it was like you forgot how to speak. You both got there and ordered your coffee, you insisted you'd pay but Gavin did anyway. You sat across from each other at the tall table. Silence would describe the atmosphere but your mind was loud. Anger, guilt...those were the only voices that were in your head; screaming at you. Gavin noticed you drifting away and he wrapped his hand around yours that was previously resting on the table. You jumped and quickly pulled your hand away.
"Gavin, I'm sorry. I can't hide this from you; not when you've been trying your best to make up for things." You started; unable to look at him

"What? What are you talking about Y/n?" he looked at you highly confused

"I-I'm sorry! I'm so so sorry!" You brought your hands to your face to cover it

"You can tell me anything, just spit it out." he softly spoke

"Last night....C-Connor took me to the hospital and we got back and he...kissed me." your voice shook in anxiety; unsure of how Gavin would react

"That's all? It was him that kissed you, not the other way around?" you could hear him straining himself not to be angry

"Yeah! That was all, I promise!"

"Did....you like it?"

"I...I don't...know. But all I could think about was how unfair and wrong it was to you! I'm sorry!"

"....Do you want to be with him?" Gavin seems less angry and more disappointed as he continues to press you with questions

"I...don't know?"

He scoffs and looks away, "You gotta be fucking kidding me," he hesitates to look at you, "What is it? Is he better than me or somethin?" he becomes more upset and stands up; storming out the shop.

"Gavin--" you quickly follow and he turns to you, making you stop in your tracks on the pavement 

"He's not even real!" he takes your hand and puts it on his chest for you to feel the organ in his chest beating, "I'm real! You're real! We both have the same thing inside us, and it's real, not something mechanical and artificial!"

You flinch at his words, "Gavin, that's not fair." you whisper

"Oh but it's fair for you to fuckin' cheat on me with a plastic freak?!"

You hold back the tears in your eyes as that one stung you a bit; you pull your hand away from him to put your head in your hands, "I said I'm sorry!" your voice breaks 

he calms himself and grabs your arms gently; moving your hands from your face to look into your eyes,
"Y/n...how could he really love you the way I do? He's a computer. He doesn't even understand what he feels or if he even does, I know that I love you. What if it's just a glitch in his system, how could you even have a future with him?"

"I-I don't know!" you yell in frustration, "I don't know...I just..don't want to hurt anybody."

He sighs and lets go of you, "You don't want to hurt anybody? I can't tell...." he walks away from you, he gets into his car and drives off. Leaving you there across the street from the station. You sighed in frustration as you put your hood on your head before stepping into the rain that had began to pour when you both were in the coffee shop. You made your way into the building and went to your desk, throwing yourself down into the chair. As much as you hated what he said about Connor; you thought it could be true. What if he didn't feel what he said but rather he was confused about the feeling and mistook it for love? What if one day he just glitched and didn't feel anything? How could you have a future where you'd grow old and Connor would be the same? How could you ever have a family? You stood up to go to the bathroom where you could let yourself cry for a minute, of course you ran into the android in the hallway. 

"Y/n? Is everything alright?"

"No! It's not." you admitted knowing you couldn't lie even if you wanted to 

"Do you want to talk about it?" he carefully asked

"Do you actually love me Connor, do you even know what that means?"

"While I can't say I know exactly what love feels like, as I've never experienced it, I feel hurt when you are not with me. Everything in me goes crazy when I am with you though, seeing your smile, hearing your laugh, being able to even see your face brings so much light. I know I long for you and that if I were to not be able to see you anymore I'd experience great pain inside me. Is that love?"

You weakly smile before looking up at him, "H-How do you know it's not a glitch?"

"I know when my programs are functioning properly or not,so if it was I'd most definitely know." he smiled 

"Well what if it were to malfunction and you were to not feel anything about me?"

"Oh, that could never happen." he states quite matter of factly

"How do you know?"

"Well, as long as you're who you are I could never lose this feeling. I could never fall out of love with you, no matter what malfunction I have." 

You smiled at this, feeling your cheeks heat up. Hank came up from behind you, a grin on his face as he snaked his arm around you both.

"Glad you guys are already here, we got a disturbance call...let's go." he headed back down the hall where you came from and you and Connor followed behind. Looking at each other on your way out.