Working

Violet sat in front of the computer, occasionally writing down facts and information.

Every so often shed turn and look at Alice, who would already be smiling at her like she knew Violet was about to look.

It was kinda awkward, neither her had said much, just giving small polite smiles before working.

They had only gotten here 20 minutes ago but to Violet it felt like an eternity.

However Violet also found herself feeling herself refresh.

Like she always did when she was alone.

However she wasn't alone, she was with Alice.

If Violet was ever going to get Alice's pain this would be the perfect time.

They were alone. No one else was even close to them including the librarian.

Therefore all Alice's pain should have been siphoned directly to Violet

But alas.

Nothing.

Violet felt herself smile slightly at the feeling, the lack of darkness in her heart.

Alice seemed to notice.

"What's got you all happy? You realize were writing about the Civil war right?" Violet looked up and laughed lightly

"Really? Well that's to bad I thought the project was about kittens." She said sarcastically. Alice smiled happily, having no clue what got Violet in such a good mood. But was thankful nonetheless.

She hated her normal blank gaze she looked at people with.

"Well I'd much rather that topic, much more amusing"

"Don't forget adorable" Violet added, Alice just nodded in agreement.

"No kidding" Violet looked back at the computer and began to type into it, as she did Alice began to stare at her gloved hands.

Violet turned and saw her looking.

"I have a phobia, I don't like human contact. The gloves prevent accidents." Violet explained turning her head back to the computer

"I'm really sorry for-"

"Don't worry about it. Like I said, not your fault, we all have our quirks... mine just happens to make me scream at human contact"

***

Violet threw her bag on the floor and flopped on her bed face first.

She let out a loud sigh of frustration into the pillow her face was smashed against.

Stress. that's what she was feeling. stress about the fact that she was being forced to hang out with someone. stressed that she flipped out. stressed that Alice took it surprisingly well. and most of all stressed because she had found her self laughing in another persons presence numerous times within the last couple hours.

She didn't want this, the warm feeling she had in her chest that happened when they hung out, she smiles and carefree nature she got. She knew that she couldn't have friends. she couldn't. It was not allowed. It would only set her up for disappointment. and yet here she was, actually caring about what someone thought about her.

Stupid stupid violet.

Stupid stupid history teacher.

Stupid stupid nice Alice.

Why couldn't she be a bitch like everyone else their age?

Violet sighed and turned around onto her back, looking up through a small whole in the roof at the night sky. she took a calming breath

why was she freaking out? its not like they were actually friends, they were just partners. yes, partners in class, nothing more, not friends, they had just happened to sit next to each other, there was not friendliness ,no one picked each other, Alice was just a nice person , and she just was Violets partner.

That's it. After this project, they'll never talk to one another again.